Westell Router wireless needs to be extended
Richardjoline

I have a Westell 9100EM wireless router connected to Fios as my main router.  I have a 2 story house with the router located in the upper floor.  I'm losing signal on the first floor and want to extend (set up a repeater) the signal to the first floor.  I have a hardwired network connection where I would like to set up the repeater.  I have an issue that needs to be considered.  I am installing IP cameras and need to be able to port forward the wireless connection from both routers.  I have 2 cameras set up and port forwarding but the signal strength is bad.  I have a second router on the first floor but it is bridged. 

Do I need a separate piece of equipment?  I have a Linksys and Apple Time Capsule wireless routers not being used.

How would I set up the second wireless extender so that it will work the port forwarding through the first router?

0 Likes
Re: Westell Router wireless needs to be extended
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JolineRichard wrote:

I have a Westell 9100EM wireless router connected to Fios as my main router.  I have a 2 story house with the router located in the upper floor.  I'm losing signal on the first floor and want to extend (set up a repeater) the signal to the first floor.  I have a hardwired network connection where I would like to set up the repeater.  I have an issue that needs to be considered.  I am installing IP cameras and need to be able to port forward the wireless connection from both routers.  I have 2 cameras set up and port forwarding but the signal strength is bad.  I have a second router on the first floor but it is bridged. 

Do I need a separate piece of equipment?  I have a Linksys and Apple Time Capsule wireless routers not being used.

How would I set up the second wireless extender so that it will work the port forwarding through the first router?

Configure the second router as a different subnet to the Westell, e.g. 192.168.2  Give the second router a static address on the Westell subenet (192.168.1), e.g. 192.168.1.254
 Connect a LAN port on the Westell to the WAN port of the second router.  Build a a port forward rule on the Westell to port forward traffic for port for your device to the wan address of the second router (192.168.1.254) and a port forward rule on the second router to port forward the port traffic for the device to the IP address of the device.

0 Likes
Richardjoline

Can you detail the second paragraph a bit more?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You may also want to consider getting a 2nd verizon router, and following these steps to extend your network as well 

0 Likes