What is with Verizon & "The DNS Server isn't responding"?
MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

For months now whenever I open IE(11) nothing on the Internet comes up and I get an error message and a chance to diagnose.  When I run the Windows Diagnostic tool, the problem invariably comes back with "The DNS Server isn't responding".  Retrying any web address yields the same result until about 2 minutes have elapsed and then all is fine and remains that way throughout the session.  But with no activity for an hour or so and it's back to same drill trying to get to new webpages.

My Westfal 9100EM router (yep, it's old) is set to automatically obtain the DNS address and they come up as 68.238.96.12 and 68.238.64.12.

Questions: (1) is this a router issue (I suspect not), (2) will Verizon's 100 buck router solve the problem absolutely, (3) is Verizon experiencing continued DNS issues or (4) what other options are available to me?

I tried changing the DNS to go to some OpenDNS addresses I found somewhere, but the issue persisted, albeit not as much.  However, a caveat to that is that I really didn't give it very long a try (a few hours); I've read that it can take up to 24 hrs for DNS changes to "propagate" thru the net.  Should I try longer?  Should I try other companies DNS addresses?  Several months ago, I was referred to an application that would same several dozen DNS addresses and provide timing and other metrics back for gauging possible DNS addresses, but I can't locate that any longer.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: What is with Verizon & "The DNS Server isn't responding"?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The best utility I know of to measure how individual DNS severs perform is DNS Benchmark by Steve Gibson.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

You could also try a late model Actiontec router to see if it clears up the problem.  You can get one, the Actiontec, free (yes free!) from Verizon.  See this link to place the order:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

The free router is at the top of the list...."Upgrade Offer for WPA2 encryption...."

The more up-to-date router may solve your problem.

MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes!  That was it (the benchmark tool)!

Also, thanks for the idea of the up-to-date router.  I may try that, although I don't undertand why the router would make a difference when the report from the diag tool indicates the DNS server isnt' responding.

I did check my router and noticed that I had set only WPA protection and not WPA2; no idea if that makes any diffierence but the "Upgrade Offer to WPA2..." made me wonder.

Thank you.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

WPA2 is definitely the only reasonably safe protocol to use these days.

As for the later model Actiontec vs. your old Westell....I just thought it possible that a failure in the Westell could be causing the DNS error your getting.  Replacing it would be a troubleshooting step I'd try, especially since Verizon will give you a new Actiontec free.

Or you could manually change the DNS servers you're using though and see if that solves the problem.

0 Likes
MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks eljefe; I agree, a free router is worth the investment to give it a go.  Haven't run the GRC yet -- I remember the last time I had that, interpreting the results was challenging 🙂

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MT73 wrote:

Thanks eljefe; I agree, a free router is worth the investment to give it a go.  Haven't run the GRC yet -- I remember the last time I had that, interpreting the results was challenging 🙂

To make things easier, DNSBench has a Summary page that will actually tell you what it thinks the best DNS servers are. The statistics page are for those that like to read statistics, and can extrapolate data over time to make a better pick than what the server states you should use.

I'm a big fan of using OpenDNS or Google DNS, and that would be my recommendation.

0 Likes
MT73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Smith6612.  I have had a couple of OpenDNS addresses in for a few days now and while there is an improvement, I still get 'can't connect' message from IE.  When I run the Windows Diagnostic Tool, in about 2 seconds it says it can't find a problem.  When I close the tool window, all of a sudden IE can find the website.

I have the OpenDNS addresses input directly in the router versus changing the settings in Windows in 4 computes around the house (not to mention smart phones).

I'm going to get the free router upgrade eljefe mentioned and see if it helps any.  He mentioned there could be something going on in the now 4 year old router that's slowing it down.  It's worth the 6 bucks (free router; $6 shipping) to give it a go as well.

0 Likes
jameell6
Enthusiast - Level 1

good post like it

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes