Why the speed test result differences?
grim-reaper
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I use the FIOS speed test I get 40Mbps but when I use speakeasy.net I only get 10Mbps.  I have the 30Mbps plan.  Why the difference and which one is considered more accurate.  I thought that when I got this service the speakeasy.net showed 30Mbps but have not checked my speed for some time.  I know Verizon was having network trouble yesterday and was notified that it is fixed.

For reference I am using an ethernet connection not a wireless connection.

Thanx.

Re: Why the speed test result differences?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Speakeasy servers don't shine like they used to. Either there are too many people testing to them now, the transition to MegaPath's network as a part of the Speakeasy > MegaPath Merger or limitations on the bandwidth of the server are slowing the results down. I'd place good bets on the Verizon speedtest being accurate, but to be sure, go to Measurementlab.net and run their Network Diagnostic Tool. It's basically a speedtest. You can also visit testmy.net and run their Download/Upload test to get a gauge of where you are.

grim-reaper
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is what I got from testmy.net - Download :: 2.5 Mbps

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try pulling down this file since the testmy.net test didn't go to well...

ftp://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso

The file is a little over 3GB big, so it's plenty big for testing with. You don't need to download the whole thing, but allow it to run long enough to get a measure of what the speed is. For 35-40Mbps, you should be coming in at roughly the 4.3-5MB/s range.

Justin46
Legend

@grim-reaper wrote:

When I use the FIOS speed test I get 40Mbps but when I use speakeasy.net I only get 10Mbps.  I have the 30Mbps plan.  Why the difference and which one is considered more accurate.  I thought that when I got this service the speakeasy.net showed 30Mbps but have not checked my speed for some time.  I know Verizon was having network trouble yesterday and was notified that it is fixed.

For reference I am using an ethernet connection not a wireless connection.

Thanx.

I have a somewhat different experience. I just did speed tests using Verizon, Speedtest.net, and Speakeasy. I have 25/15 service, using an ethernet connection for my laptop PC to the router, and for the router to the FiOS ONT. I generally get results similar to what I am posting below. My results just now:

Verizon

Speedtest.net

Speakeasy

They are all pretty consistent. I am in the DFW area, so I chose the sites nearest me to test on.

My opinion of why there are sometimes differences between the Verizon test and any others is that the Verizon test stays entirely within the Verizon network (at least I think it does), while the others go outside the Verizon network, at least sometimes if not always. So once you get outside the Verizon network, Verizon cannot control the traffic or speed. Plus of course the activity on the server you choose to test on can most certainly have a big effect.

My suggestion is to generally believe the Verizon test as the most accurate as a pure test of the speed of your connection, but not necessarily what you will get in real world use. Plus try the tests at various times of the day, network load can vary a lot depending on the time of day.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Keller, TX 76248