Why we cannot get Fios in Lower Macungie PA
yenbm

Is there a reason why we cannot get fiber optic internet and TV in my town? Is there a monopoly rule set by the township?

0 Likes
Re: Why we cannot get Fios in Lower Macungie PA
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to Verizon's availibility map, FiOS seems to be available in a small portion of your town, though it's nothing for TV service. It's hard to say if the map is accurate or not without having reports of others near you to reference in having FiOS.

As to why FiOS isn't available, it can be for many reasons. Usually it's the local politics or the population data for the area that keeps FiOS away.

0 Likes
yenbm

Thanks, but if it is really due to local politics, how can I find out for sure? I can organize a petition drive if necessary. My local cable company raised price every year and get to a point of unbearable!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try attending a town hall meeting or asking local officials. They might be able to answer the question without trying to get a petition going first. Now, if there is a refusal to get Verizon out, then you can try to get a petition set up with others in your town to present to the town officials. Even then, if everything goes well, you're still at the mercy of Verizon wanting to bring the service out. If they can score permission to bring out TV services, they will be more motivated to build the services out, but as announced in many locations, it's unlikely Verizon will build out FiOS any more unless they are obligated to do so for are finishing up a roll-out.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes