Wi-Fi connection thru Verizon router
dbronx1

We have a Verizon router running a wireless network.  The two downstairs computers, both PCs, are running at optimal speed.  My computer, which is an iMac, and is upstairs and on the other side of the house, runs noticeably slower.  For instance, it can take several seconds for a webpage to completely open; when I watch a video on a website or on YouTube the video is constantly buffering.

I have tried a Netgear extender and Airport Express but neither have done the trick.  Before I contact Verizon directly, I was wondering whether anyone might have a suggested solution.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Wi-Fi connection thru Verizon router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

When you tried the Netgear extender and the Airport Express, where did you place them?

In order to get the best signal on the other sider of the house, you need to minimize the number of floors and walls the wireless signal must travel through.  If at all possible, place the Netgear extender or AE on the other side of the house near the iMac.

0 Likes
dbronx1

Yep, placed both as close to the iMac as possible while not cutting them off from the router itself.  That's the problem.  Wondering whether I need to get a separate router just for the iMac.

0 Likes
ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know the solution to your problem, but mine is an all-Mac household. We recently got FIOS installed and the tech. just bridged the Apple Extreme to the Verizon router. Both work and I don't have a delay like the one you cite.

0 Likes
Dan_w_MiFi

I have a MiFi air card (a 4510 I think) in the South Eau Claire area, and am having issues with it dropping the connection fairly frequently (couple times a day sometimes). I upgraded the firmware to 2.25, but still having issues. Anybody else having issues with theri MiFi??? When it works it is great, but htis is frustrating....

These forums are dedicated to Residential products and services offered by Verizon.

For help on Verizon Wireless issues, please post your topic on the Verizon Wireless community.

Thank you

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dan_w_MiFi wrote:

I have a MiFi air card (a 4510 I think) in the South Eau Claire area, and am having issues with it dropping the connection fairly frequently (couple times a day sometimes). I upgraded the firmware to 2.25, but still having issues. Anybody else having issues with theri MiFi??? When it works it is great, but htis is frustrating....

These forums are dedicated to Residential products and services offered by Verizon.

For help on Verizon Wireless issues, please post your topic on the Verizon Wireless community.

Thank you

This is mainly a Verizon Wireless question, but I could help you out since I've played with Mi-Fi units before.

Are you sure it's the Wi-Fi itself dropping and not for example, the Cellular connection dropping out? The MiFi can display the signal strength to you if you visit it's administration page, at http://192.168.1.1/ when using it on Wi-Fi. In addition, if the unit is overheating (hot to to the touch) or not getting enough power (if the battery's dead) it will also act up.

0 Likes
dbronx1

We bought a Hawking Tech wireless extender and it's working perfectly.

Thanks all for your advice.

Steve

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mark it solved and point to your solution and it will help others with the same issue.