Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping Out
ntermini3

The wireless connection on both my Macs and my Canon wireless printer continues to drop out.  The only way I can reconnect is to power on/off my Macs wireless connection, the same goes for my printer. 

My printer is the Canon MP980 with all the latest drivers installed on both Macs.  I have a Macbook 2.2GHZ with 4GB's ram, an iMac, 2.1GHZ with 3GB's ram.  This issue never happened with my previous internet provider (Optimum Online), which leads me to believe there is something wrong with my router or Verizon's service.

I have searched websites and forums to try and find a solution and it seems many other customers are experiencing this issue.  Please let me know what needs to be done to resolve the issue as its becoming quite frustrating.

Thanks,

Nick

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping Out
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand and model of your router?

0 Likes
ntermini3

Router Details:

Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2

Version E

Frimware 20.9.0

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Is the Actiontec the only wireless transmitter in your network?  Is there anyway to narrow this down to a wireless issue as opposed to a potential network issue? (i.e. can you keep a device hardwired for a significant enough period of time to measure reliability)  Would you be able to setup static IP's on the LAN? 

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

If you have a cordless phone then this can be interfering with your wireless connection. Change the wireless to channel 11 and do some more testing.

Steve

0 Likes
ntermini3

Well the situation has been fixed and I am quite surprised as to what needed to be changed.  I had modified the wireless encryption settings in the router from WEP to WPA, because WPA is more secure.  The Verizon tech said the routers are not compatibe with WPA and I should change back to WEP.  Since I changing back to WEP, everything is working flawlessly.

Two questions:  Why does the router interface provide a WPA option if the if it's not compatible?  Is there any plan to make WPA compatible?  I used WPA in the past (optimum online), Dlink Router on both current macs and never had an issue.

Thanks

0 Likes