Wireless adapters for desktop
bholmstr

What wireless adapters does Verizon support.  I have a Dell desktop running XP.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless adapters for desktop
Justin46
Legend

I don' think they "support" any particular one. They will sell you one (for any inflated price) or you can go to Office Depot or Office Max or Staples or Best Buy or most anyplace else that sells computer stuff, including mailorder (I personally like to do business with NewEgg, but there are plenty of reputable mailorder companies). Any adapter should work, although I would stick with a "name" brand, like LinkSys, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin, etc. The Verizon routers currently support only wireless G and B speeds, not N, so there really isn't any reason, at least for now, to get a wireless N adapter; but if you can find one at a good price it probably would be a good idea to get the faster speed for possible future speed improvements (N adapters also support G and B).

For desktops you have a choice of an adapter that plugs into the bus (you have to open the case to install it), or you can get a USB-attached adapter.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

I don' think they "support" any particular one. They will sell you one (for any inflated price) or you can go to Office Depot or Office Max or Staples or Best Buy or most anyplace else that sells computer stuff, including mailorder (I personally like to do business with NewEgg, but there are plenty of reputable mailorder companies). Any adapter should work, although I would stick with a "name" brand, like LinkSys, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin, etc. The Verizon routers currently support only wireless G and B speeds, not N, so there really isn't any reason, at least for now, to get a wireless N adapter; but if you can find one at a good price it probably would be a good idea to get the faster speed for possible future speed improvements (N adapters also support G and B).

For desktops you have a choice of an adapter that plugs into the bus (you have to open the case to install it), or you can get a USB-attached adapter.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

bholmstr

thanks for the info

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

If you can, and this is just my personal opinion. I would recommend a PCI wireless adaptor if at all possible. These have external antenna and they are more stable than the USB style. A little more difficult to install but worth it in my opinion.

Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

If you can, and this is just my personal opinion. I would recommend a PCI wireless adaptor if at all possible. These have external antenna and they are more stable than the USB style. A little more difficult to install but worth it in my opinion.

I have used both types and they seemed to work equally well for me. Installing a PCI adpater inside the computer eliminates the external clutter plus reduces the chance for damage for knocking the external device to the floor or whatever. But a USB-attached adapter has one distinct advantage - if you need to move the adapter antenna around to get the best signal (high on the wall, away from the computer for some reason, etc) you can do that with an external device. Somewhat more difficult to move the entire computer up near the ceiling, for example Smiley Happy

Just some thoughts....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes