Wireless and Wired connections and IP Address 10.168.1.X
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

After spending hours on the phone with FIOS Technical "Experts" (sic), the experts say it is IMPOSSIBLE for the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router is that it periodically defaults to a DNS Server allocating IP addresses of 10.168.1.X

The funny thing is that I have had wired PCs, wireless laptops, Wireless tablets and cell phones getting allocated IP addresses of 10.168.1.X

Silly me for fixing my problem before I could get the "EXPERTS" to look at it and verify it because it is MY fault or something I am doing that is causing the problem. I must be changing the settings to 10.168.1.1 for the gateway.

By futzing around with your and THEIR router, you can get the IP addresses to be correct. At worse case, you put in a static IP address of 192.168.1.X for your PC, laptop or other device and you'll work around the problem. 

There is a firmware issue with the router that periodic ally crops up for some unknown reason and Verizon can not comprehend technical issues so they sluff it off as operator or YOUR issue when in fact it is their issue. Actiontec does not know about it since they refuse to talk to Verizon clients and Verizon Tech support is clueless so the problem does not get resolved.

My cell phone presently has an IP address of 10.168.1.101 which Verizon Tech Support extraordinaire says is impossible to get. I have a tech coming out here tomorrow to see the impossible.

I am waiting with baited breath to see what excuse this guy will give me but I suspect he will be sympathetic since he is in the field and NOT reading from a script.

Wish me luck.

George

0 Likes
Re: Wireless and Wired connections and IP Address 10.168.1.X
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Have you done a hard reset on the router?

If the problem still exists after doing a hard reset and not making any other changes, then you have a bad router.

What you describe is not impossible.  The image for the router's firmware is stored in EPROM.

It can happen that bits get "stuck" in EPROM resulting in a corrupt firmware image.

0 Likes
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

1. Have you done a hard reset on the router?

I've done a hard reset many many times and still the problem exists.

If the problem still exists after doing a hard reset and not making any other changes, then you have a bad router.

Replaced the router and the problem still exists.

What you describe is not impossible.  The image for the router's firmware is stored in EPROM.

It can happen that bits get "stuck" in EPROM resulting in a corrupt firmware image.

I KNOW the problem is in the firmware BUT I am not able to get it through the thick heads of tech support who "might" be able to spell "IP". Actiontec will not speak with me about it since I am NOT a Verizon Tech Support person. Verizon Tech Support tells me that it is impossible for the IP address to be 10.168.1.X. 

My cell phone wireless has been allocated an IP address of 10.168.1.101 by the router that Verizon tech spport says can't happen and Tech Support is coming to my house this mornnig to check my system. They will see 1st hand the impossible.

One Tech Support guy said the problem is that I have a switch downstream of my router and it is allocating the incorrect IP addresses. Not sure how a network switch that has been working properly for years can all of a sudden start telling a router to allocate IP addresses all on its own. BTW, this happened AFTER an update to the firmware.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@iclarius wrote:

One Tech Support guy said the problem is that I have a switch downstream of my router and it is allocating the incorrect IP addresses. Not sure how a network switch that has been working properly for years can all of a sudden start telling a router to allocate IP addresses all on its own. BTW, this happened AFTER an update to the firmware.

FYI a "switch downstream" does not allocate IP addresses to nodes on your router's LAN.  They only allocate WAN addresses to the router itself.

Please let us all know what the technician says.  This is an interesting one.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do your wired devices get 10.168.1.x addresses as well?

It would be interesting to see the ip settings on your wired clients ("ipconfig" output on a Windows box).  I'm curious what the gateway IP address is.

Can we assume that you've confirmed the router is actually at 192.168.1.1 and is configured to serve DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2?

I agree with PJL, this is quite interesting.  Let us know what happens.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

Latest update:

1. Tech was here. Saw the cell phone with the 10.168.1.101 IP Address (might have been 102 - I forget - sense my frustration?).

2. The 10.168.1.X IP Address was allocated to a wired desktop so I did a staic IP (192.168.1.15) and that problem was resolved.

3. Two laptops were allocated 10.168.1.103 and 10.168.1.104. Put in a staic IP on one and it worked fine with 192.168.1.1 and the left the other as 10.168.1.104. (This was yesterday when I tried to get the problem fixed - I gave that laptop back to the customer)

4. Wife just got home and her cell phone IP address was 10.168.1.100 and no matter what we do, we can't get her phone to get a valid IP. It says it is connected to the router BUT with an IP of 10.168.1.100, you can't get onto the internet.

Anyone have any suggestions or need any additional info, I'm all ears.

Saga Continues.

0 Likes
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

PJL,

I know a downstream device can't allocate upstream but apparently the brain trust at Verizon doesn't know that. All I get is it is impossible to happen and it must be a device I have allocating this type of IP address.

FYI,

Several yrs ago, my STBs with DVRs had this problem of getting an ip address of 10.168.1.X and this was with the older style router. I fixed that problem by changing the ip address on the STB (the router setup allowed that. they block that ability now).

Will keep you posted. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

George

0 Likes
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update:

We got my wife's phone to stop getting a 10.168.1.100 IP by pushing the bottom front button on the router (the "refresh" button?). It refreshed something and her cell phone then got a valid IP address.

If the core route is used by multiple companies, then there could very well be a company that uses the 10.1`68.1.X series for their customers. I seem to recall running into a router some yrs ago that used those types of IPs.

Keep you all posted.

George

0 Likes
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

Latest Update

Powered up my laptop and it came up with 10.168.1.100. Turned the laptop off and not more than 5 minutes later, the tech came back to the house and I powered up the laptop to show him and lo and behold, the ip came up as 192.168.1.3 BUT he did see the 10.168.1.102 on my cell phone so he is aware of the problem.

George

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you provide the details I've requested, I might be able to help.

Is it possible you have another DHCP server active on your network?

When you look at the IP address on the phone are you certain you're looking at the address on your WiFi network and not the cellular network or a different WiFi network?

This is why I'm curious to see the IP configuration on a wired computer; it eliminates the possibility that a wireless device is connected to something other than your network.  If I can understand this issue on a wired connection, then we can tackle the wireless devices.

Good Luck.

0 Likes