• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
Haskell123
Device: hard wired computers
Plan: FIOS triple play
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Wireless light on Actiontec M1424WR is blinking without using wireless features

The wireless light on my Actiontec M1424WR router blinks continuously even though I'm not using wireless computers.  Do I have a security issue?

Gold Contributor I
spacedebris

Re: Wireless light on Actiontec M1424WR is blinking without using wireless features

Haskell123 wrote:

The wireless light on my Actiontec M1424WR router blinks continuously even though I'm not using wireless computers.  Do I have a security issue?

Possibly, but probably not. It will blink anytime it has traffic or anytime any wireless device does a scan for a wireless signal. So if you have any wireless devices turned on (even if not using the internet) or there are any wireless devices within range of the router that are checking for wireless signals, you light will flash. Unless they have your security key, they cant get on your network, but they can see it and request access, your router will just deny it.

Now it is possible that someone hacked your key and is using your wireless. If your concerned about this change your wep key (or switch to wpa), if it continues, then it is likely just background scanning and nothing to worry about. If it stops, then you may have had an issue and you just stopped it.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Contributor
Haskell123
Device: hard wired computers
Plan: FIOS triple play
0 Kudos

Re: Wireless light on Actiontec M1424WR is blinking without using wireless features

Many thanks for your help.  I'll monitor it for now and if my concern continues, I'll change the WEP.  Haskell123

All Star
viafax999
Device: Chromecast tv phone
Plan: Digital Voice, 75/35

Go into admin on the router and look at My Network, Network Status.

It will show you all the devices that are, or have, connected to your router since it was last reset.  Check the names of all of them to make sure you recognize them.  The MOCA connections are the VZ devices and the ethernet are wirelss and/or wired devices.  You should only see your own devices and one unusual one that would have been the installers machine.

Anything else and you probably want to worry about it.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411