Xbox Live MTU and ISP Error - Wireless. PLEASE HELP
xcrizzo

My xbox was able to connect wirelessly to our home network for a few months. The xbox stopped working  a couple weeks ago, and after numerous attempts at fixing it and playing with router settings, some computers began dying off as well and were being assigned 169 Ip Addresses. We ordered a new router from Verizon and all computers are currently working with Static Ip addresses, however, the Xbox is only able to receive internet when directly connected into a computer on the wireless network. However the connection is very slow and lags and drops a lot.

When assigned a static IP the xbox is able to connect to the network, and internet but stops working between the internet and xbox live phases. (Wireless) It displays errors on MTU, and says the ISP is not allowing it to connect to Xbox Live. The IP Address, Subnet, and Gateway are all manually entered and correct. I placed the DNS Servers as the routers IP address (192.168.1.1) and (4.4.4.4) The MTU on the router is at 1492 (was not working at 1500), ports are forwarded, and I put the Xbox's IP address in a DMZ. All of these attempts still have not fixed it.

need advanced tech guy that has preferably seen this issue before: all verizon reps on the phone are useless

Please HelP!

0 Likes
Re: Xbox Live MTU and ISP Error - Wireless. PLEASE HELP
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you change the SSID in the router?

#2 Did you change the channel in the router?

#3 What level of wireless security is the router set to ( WEP / WPA )?

#4 What is the brand, model, and Ver of this router?

For example: Actiontec, MI-424-MI, Rev C.

Re: Xbox Live MTU and ISP Error - Wireless. PLEASE HELP 169 ip
FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

You mentioned you have a static IP, static IP are only assigned to business customer's not residential. That means even thought you are configuring the network settings using static IP Verizon is giving you a dynamic IP. 

Now assuming you have a dynamic IP here is the solution. 

Whenever you see an IP that starts with 169 it means your dhcp settings are not correct. 

Open command prompt (if you are using windows) 

Purpose: This will reset your dhcp settings: 

type the following into the command prompt

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp (press enter in your keyboard)

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp (press enter in your keyboard) 

That should fix it. 

PS:

xcrizzo

1- I did not change the SSID. I have tried different channels and tried reseting router to factory default.

3- WEP - The password is entered correctly. Xbox can connect to the Router but not Xbox Live.

4.Actiontec MI424WR- not sure which verison

Yes I know the outgoing routyer IP is not static. I said I assigned Static IPs to all devices on the network. Xbox refuses to work with a Static IP or a Dynamic IP.

My xbox doesn't have a 169 IP and its an xbox, you cant use the .cmd prompt.

0 Likes
FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

Try google free dns servers

google offers :

Primary:     8.8.8.8

Secondary: 8.8.4.4 

0 Likes
xcrizzo

Still No Luck. Says ISP may be blockijng access.

0 Likes
FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

Try connecting it directly that's (no wireless). I have it connected via ethernet in my home. That way you can test if it is the ISP