Xbox live connection issues--DNS settings - Primary and secondary
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Up until yesterday I never had an issue connecting to xbox live.  I've made no changes to my setup nor have I added any additional hardware to my home network. My xbox connects to the internet, but won't complete the connection to xbox live.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/jlake_photos/testlivewiredxblfail.jpg

Can someone provide the DNS settings - Primary and secondary DNS settings

Do I need to change my DNS settings.  They are set to automatically detect on my xbox 360.

Here are some details of my setup, which has not changed.

1. Xbox 360 has and has always been set to automatically detect IP address, subnet mask,

2. I have my xbox 360 set up with a wired connection directly to the wireless gateway verizon provided (Actiontec MI424WR)

3. I have my xbox 360 set as a DMZ host so that the IP address is static on my router settings.

Troubleshooting steps taken with no resolution to the issue:

1. Rebooted router several times.

2. Cleared xbox 360 memory cache.

3. Checked port forwarding for the following:

4. Made sure the following network ports are open on the firewall:

a. Port 88 (UDP)

b. Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

c. Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

d .Port 80 (TCP)

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Xbox live connection issues--DNS settings - Primary and secondary
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, I'm on now. 

If you want an agent to fix this go to

http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

and click on Live Chat.

-------

If you want to fix it yourself follow these instructions to change the router's IP Address.

1.  Log into your Verizon router by typing in 192.168.1.1/ to you internet browser.

2.  Username is admin

3.  Default Password is the Verizon's router serial number on the bottom of the router under the bar code.

4.  When you have logged in, click My Network.

5.  Click on Network connections on the left pane.

6.  Click on Broadband Connection (coaxial)

7.  Click on Settings.

8.  About 3/4th of the way down the page you should see DHCP Lease: and a Release and Renew button.

9.  Click Release and wait for it to go through the step.

10. Afterwards Click the Renew button.

11.  Click the Apply button once that is complete.

12.  Reboot your router (turn off for 30 second and turn on and wait 1 minute).

13.  Turn on your Xbox and connect to Xbox Live. 

14.  Did it work.  If not repeat the steps or contact Verizon through Live Chat for additional assistance.

Let me know if this works or if there are any adjustments needed to the steps I went through so I can update them to help others.

View solution in original post

dadoublen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here.  Verizon FIOS in Maryland.  Neither mine (wired) or my daughters Xbox (wireless) will connect to XBL.  I've rebooted the router, reset the router to factory settings, etc.  On both Xbox's the network test has be as connected to the internet, but errors when connecting to XBL.  May be unrelated (or not), but I can't seem to get to xbox.com from home either - it times out everytime.  Working fine at work (where I'm posting from).

XBL worked fine on the evening of 6/22.  I tried last night 6/23 and could not connect and tried again this morning 6/24 and am still having the same issue.

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

@dadoublen wrote:

Same issue here.  Verizon FIOS in Maryland.  Neither mine (wired) or my daughters Xbox (wireless) will connect to XBL.  I've rebooted the router, reset the router to factory settings, etc.  On both Xbox's the network test has be as connected to the internet, but errors when connecting to XBL.  May be unrelated (or not), but I can't seem to get to xbox.com from home either - it times out everytime.  Working fine at work (where I'm posting from).

XBL worked fine on the evening of 6/22.  I tried last night 6/23 and could not connect and tried again this morning 6/24 and am still having the same issue.

That's funny you said that because I went to Xbox Live's support page and it times out as well.  It has to be a fios issue.  The Xbox Live Server status says everything is working.

I'm having the exact same issue.

Have you contacted Verizon by phone?

MikeWiz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I just followed dadoublen from the Xbox forums.

Same situation.  Maryland Fios.  Tried 2 wireless routers and it fails on connecting between Internet and Live.  I couldn't connect to the forums on Xbox.com either.

I come to work and can visit the site fine.

Someone from the Xbox.com forums was saying that Verizion Fios had some issues. 

I rather wait to see if things get sorted on their own rather than start making configuration changes.

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in this matter.

Let's keep each other up to date.

Thanks!

dadoublen
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I haven't called them.  I spent about an hour trying to figure it out on my own last night before calling it a night.  I was just hoping it would resolve itself by the morning, but no luck there.  I posted on the XBL forum as well and there appear to be a few other people having the same issue with FIOS.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/27059.aspx

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

I spoke to an agent at 1800Verizon and asked whether they had any recent bulletins of issues regarding xbox live connectivity.  I mentioned that there are others having the exact same problem.

To no surprise they claim there is no issue on their end and they do not monitor or prohibit any internet activity on their end so he concluded it must be xbox's servers.  I informed him that I'm able to get on to their website at work but not at home and he still said it must be their servers.

He did say that potentially xbox live might have blocked a range of IP addresses due to a potential security threat and that I should call them to verify if my IP address has been blocked.

MikeWiz
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's not good.  If things aren't resolved when I get home; I'll call Verizon and MS too.

amais
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon has been having an issue for about 3 days now that I have noticed.  They have been less than helpful, if you call they require you hook up their Actiontek router, which sucks; especially for XBL. 

Stevenikkij
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in Maryland (Baltimore) and just had FIOS installed last Friday. I just checked and I can connect wirelessly to XBOX live with no problems. I do know that in order for me to connect, I had to enable Wireless MAC authentication and add the MAC address to the Allowed List.

Hope this helps

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

@Stevenikkij wrote:

I live in Maryland (Baltimore) and just had FIOS installed last Friday. I just checked and I can connect wirelessly to XBOX live with no problems. I do know that in order for me to connect, I had to enable Wireless MAC authentication and add the MAC address to the Allowed List.

Hope this helps

I'm connecting to a wired connection.  Maybe the issue is resolved now.  I'm at work and can't verify that, but checked this morning at around 7:00 AM and it still would not connect.