Xerox 5150 E-Mail Not Accessing Internet
Cklihr
Enthusiast - Level 2

We switched from DSL to a FIOS (MI42WR-GEN3I)  modem, and the modem seems to be blocking the Xerox 5150 MultiFunction copier/scanner output from sending the e-mail.  Our e-mail address is with our account at Godaddy.  All this worked with our previous DSL Modem.  All the settings have been reviewed by both Xerox and Godaddy tech support, and the problem points to the Verizon modem.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Xerox 5150 E-Mail Not Accessing Internet
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cklihr wrote:

Thanks. I have tried to use another port without success.  I suppose this is a way for Verizon to lock users into having a verizon e-mail account?

You by default have a Verizon email account however you do not need to use it.  If you use the Verizon SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net with your verizon email id and password and port 587 it will work.

Actually I just tried it with port 25 and my id and password and outgoing.verizon.net and that works fine too - don't think that will work with port 25 unless you are connected to the verizon network.

Alternatively you should be able to use a GoDaddysmtp server using whatever port they specify for access - that cannot be port 25 because verizon blocks port 25 to non verizon servers - this is a common faeture of all isps as an attempt to cut down on spam via email relaying.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cklihr wrote:

We switched from DSL to a FIOS (MI42WR-GEN3I)  modem, and the modem seems to be blocking the Xerox 5150 MultiFunction copier/scanner output from sending the e-mail.  Our e-mail address is with our account at Godaddy.  All this worked with our previous DSL Modem.  All the settings have been reviewed by both Xerox and Godaddy tech support, and the problem points to the Verizon modem.

Web Mail or pop mail?

presumably pop as web mail is via http.  I would guess that your email server setting are using an incorrect port, perhaps you could explain your email config?

Verizon block port 25 access to email servers, my outlook settings say that I am using port 587 and a VZ outgoing mail server for my email service that is hosted by Network Solutions.

Cklihr
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is POP, and the SMTP setting is; smtpout.secureserver.net

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

what port?

Verizon block port 25 access to email servers, my outlook settings say that I am using port 587 and a VZ outgoing mail server for my email service that is hosted by Network Solutions.

Using the verizon outgoing smtp server is a more normal setup when verizion is your isp, however you should be be able to use the godaddy smtp server so long as you are not using port 25.

My gmail setup is set to use a google smtp server and port 465 and works fine also.  I could just as well use the google smtp server for my network solutions account and it would still work - actually have it set up that way on the laptop for travelling as it makes it far easier to have a single smtp server for outgoing and multiple pop servers for incoming.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Is the Xerox 5150 wired or wireless?

BTW, the MI424-WR is a router, not a modem.

0 Likes
Cklihr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oops,  The router is wired.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to page 2 of teh customer tips document for the device, SMTP by default is configured to port 25.  I believe that will work if you are using a Verizon SMTP server but it won't work if you are using a GoDaddy SMTP server.  That's quite the device, I've never seen one of those before.

How SMARTsend Uses Ports
Purpose
This document describes the ports that the SMARTsend application utilizes. If you have
issues installing or using SMARTsend, check that your network does not block ports that
SMARTsend uses. Modifying the port numbers to values other than the defaults listed in
the following table may also result in installation or functionality issues, therefore we
recommend you use the default port values whenever possible.

0 Likes
Cklihr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I have tried to use another port without success.  I suppose this is a way for Verizon to lock users into having a verizon e-mail account?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cklihr wrote:

You by default have a Verizon email account however you do not need to use it.  If you use the Verizon SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net with your verizon email id and password and port 587 it will work.

Actually I just tried it with port 25 and my id and password and outgoing.verizon.net and that works fine too - don't think that will work with port 25 unless you are connected to the verizon network.

Alternatively you should be able to use a GoDaddysmtp server using whatever port they specify for access - that cannot be port 25 because verizon blocks port 25 to non verizon servers - this is a common faeture of all isps as an attempt to cut down on spam via email relaying.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

godaddy uses port 80 for email.

0 Likes