ZyXel Prestige 861H-G1?
pnelson703
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi -- 

I was set up with a ZyXel Prestige 861H-G1 modem/gateway with the phone line input into it and an ethernet line running out of it into an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D router. The router also receives input via coaxial from the wall.

My FIOS speeds have been less than expected, so I (among other things) looked up the hardware that I got on the Web. Information for the ZyXel was scarce, and mostly dated back to 2005, a long time ago in terms of hardware.

Did I get stuck with somethiing old the tech had leftover on the truck? It looks like it has seen better days. What is the current hardware that FIOS customers are supposed to be getting?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Re: ZyXel Prestige 861H-G1?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You don't indicate what speed tier you're subscribed to, or what speeds you are getting.

The VDSL1 MDU installation that you have is capable of 20/5 Mbps.

0 Likes
pnelson703
Enthusiast - Level 2

20M / 5M is the speed that I pay for, so I guess the hardware is technically sufficient? Is it what is currently being provided though, and if not am I able to swap for newer hardware without being charged any fees?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@pnelson703 wrote:

20M / 5M is the speed that I pay for, so I guess the hardware is technically sufficient? Is it what is currently being provided though, and if not am I able to swap for newer hardware without being charged any fees?

Yes, the Zyxel is adequate for 20/5.

Newer MDU installs are being provisioned with VDSL2 which supports up to 50/20.

I have not heard of a VDSL1 installation being upgraded to VDSL2.

0 Likes