anti-virus problem I think
CarolAnne3
Enthusiast - Level 1

My friend downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus and we had no problem - today when I turned on my computer it there was a window that said to download a more current Mc Afee - so I did - now the computer doesn't work.  My laptop works so I know it isn't the modem.  What to do????

Re: anti-virus problem I think
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When Kaspersky was installed, did you uninstall McAfee? It's never a good idea to run two Anti-virus programs along side each other as more often than not, they tend to conflict with each other and cause some pretty interesting issues with the operating system.

When you first turn on your PC, press F8 until you get a menu asking you how you wish to boot Windows. This menu can be accessed before you get the Windows logo or the "Windows is Starting Up" screen. Boot the system into Safe Mode, choosing that option with your Arrow Keys and the Enter button and from there once the PC starts up, go to your Control Panel, and locate Add/Remove Programs (also called Remove Programs in Windows Vista and Windows 7). From this point, either uninstall Kaspersky or McAfee, whichever you do not want to use and then reboot the system. See if it will boot and log in normally.

Failing that, return to Safe Mode and try using System Restore to restore the system to a date a day or two before the problem occurred. System Restore can be reached by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore or if you are running Windows Vista/7, by searching System Restore in the Search Bar inside of the Start Menu.

I'd normally be a person who can fix issues such as these in person or remotely, however failing the above I would suggest taking the PC to a local computer geek or computer shop to see if they can get the machine started again. If not, at least have them back up your data so that the operating system may be reinstalled. This is of course a last ditch effort should all else fail.

Re: anti-virus problem I think
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CarolAnne wrote:

My friend downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus and we had no problem - today when I turned on my computer it there was a window that said to download a more current Mc Afee - so I did - now the computer doesn't work.  My laptop works so I know it isn't the modem.  What to do????

Doesn't boot or can't access access the internet?

I ask because you said "My laptop works so I know it isn't the modem" and I assume by modem you mean the VZ router so am guessing that what you meant by not working is that you no longer have internet access?