cat 6 and different router
atlantabraves5
Enthusiast - Level 1

i was wondering if there is a way to change my router and get all the vod and guide features???   will i get faster internet if i change to cat 6 from coax.....i have 35/35 speeds.....i play xbox live and seem to always be lagging behind

0 Likes
Re: cat 6 and different router
Hubrisnxs
Legend
You always need the fios router in the picture in some capacity for the on demand, guide widgets, etc. . Cat 5 vs cat 6 isn't going to do a whole lot for your lag, but if you can afford it, go for it. Here are the different ways for you to configure it with a secondary router. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking
PistolPete13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately going from Cat-5 to Cat-6 isn't going to do anything for you performance-wise.  If you're hardwired to the VZ router, you're already running at 100 MBit speeds, way more than the allocated 35/35 speed.  Cat-6 will give you Gigabit performace over a longer distance vs. Cat-5 but the VZ connection will still be your bottleneck.

Unless you're running a clustered server or disk array, an XBox or PC will be hard pressed to saturate a 100MB line on a sustained basis.  I'm not an Xbox owner but is there some way to check the connection of the line to make sure it's 100Mbit FULL Duplex?  The duplex setting is very important.  It's normally automatically set, but stranger things have happened.

Keep in mind that even though you have a 35/35 connection to the Internet, once the data leaves your home and enters the "Internet", all bets are off in terms of speed.  There could be routing or traffic issues in the cloud and the final destination host you're connecting to could be connected to the Internet using a T1 (1.5Mbps) line or worse.

PistolPete13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait.  It's late and I just re-read your post.

How are you connecting the Xbox to the VZ router?  Wired or wirelessly?

If wireless, then there is your answer.  Run a Cat-5 cable to the VZ router for the best possible speed.

atlantabraves5
Enthusiast - Level 1
It is hardwired. Bought another router got it working but lost all od and guide so I changed it back.
0 Likes