change WPA2 password or create separate network?
jb37101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I want to allow access to our wireless network for guests in our home. But I don't want to give them our current password, as it is one I use for other things.

I'm not sure how to change the password to the wifi network. We have an Actiontec router. I logged into http://192.168.1.1 but for some reason can't figure out where to change the password. I don't see it under Wireless Settings, either Basic Security or Advanced. I have WEP off. Where is it!?

Or, the other option would be to create a secondary network. Is this possible?

Thanks all,

Joe

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: change WPA2 password or create separate network?
jb37101
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, so I ended up having to go to Advanced Security, clicking on WPA (even though WPA2 is enabled). This is what brought me to the page where i can change the password. THen switched back to WPA2. huh.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

jb37101 wrote:

I'm not sure how to change the password to the wifi network.

Wireless settings -> Basic Security Settings -> #5 Select a WEP key.

jb37101 wrote:

I have WEP off. Where is it!?

If you have WEP off (#4) and haven't enabled WPA or WPA2 (under advanced security settings), then you have no wireless security.

jb37101 wrote:

Or, the other option would be to create a secondary network. Is this possible?

Yes.  You would need a Wireless Access Point (WAP), or another router configured as a WAP.

jb37101
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, so I ended up having to go to Advanced Security, clicking on WPA (even though WPA2 is enabled). This is what brought me to the page where i can change the password. THen switched back to WPA2. huh.

0 Likes
eerickso

Thanks, jb37101! I've been going in circles since resetting my router and couldn't find info anywhere on changing the WPA2 password with the FiOS router. Appreciate your posting.

0 Likes