Re: email trouble - can't delete messages and won't go away after download
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I am having the same problem here.  We have two computers, one XP with Outlook (main acct. holder) that does not experience the problem.  The second PC is Vista using windows mail which is experiencing the problem.  This acct. is a secondary acct.  I will have to call tech support to see why this is an issue.

0 Likes
JWK
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem with my iphone access to my verizon mail.  The same mail items have been repeatedly coming up.  I even deleted the account on the iphone and reentered everything and rebooted it and the problem still persists.  I have the option set to delete the mail on the server when I delete it from the inbox.  The problem must be at the server end as all the parameters are correctly set and it was working correctly before Friday.

Jim K

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

@somegirl wrote:

Microsoft recently sent out an update that incorrectly set the system date/time to 2008. Check to make sure your system date and time are correct, as this may be the cause of the issue. (Your client checks for new mail, and is seeing everything since 2008 as new.)

The date is displaying correctly, so this is not the problem. The fellow at Verizon Tech Support said it was a problem on their end whne I spoke to him last night. It persists today, but I am now able to delete the messages from the server by using the webmail interface. Last night I could not even do that. Here's hoping for it to be completely resolved soon!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

my buddy in tech support just sent me a message saying that the duplicate email problem is a system wide problem.

Verizon is working on correcting it. It affects all 3rd party email programs.

He says they have a temp solution. go into your settings and set it to "leave a copy on server" and this is supposed to temporarily fix this issue. At least until Verizon resolves the problem on their end.

Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

my buddy in tech support just sent me a message saying that the duplicate email problem is a system wide problem.

He says they have a temp solution. go into your settings and set it to "leave a copy on server" and this is supposed to temporarily fix this issue. At least until Verizon resolves the problem on their end.

What is the definition of a "3rd party email program"? I just used Outlook Express to send an email from one of my Verizon accounts to another, then went into the webmail application and could see the email just fine, then went back to OE and downloaded the email (set to not leave a copy on the server), went back to webmail and the email is gone. So Verizon email is working exactly as it should for me. It does not appear to be a "system wide" problem, and if it was I think there would be way more posts here than there are.

Verizon has multiple email servers, my guess is only some of them are messed up, maybe only one. I know a couple of years ago I had a problem where my email account was known on some of Verizon's email servers but not others, people sending emails to me would sometimes get a bounce message, resend and it might go through, might not, very unpredictable. The solution for that was for Verizon to delete my email account and redefine it, all problems went away.

Anyway, I don't see any email problems, and haven't for months.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

@spacedebris wrote:

I set Thunderbird to leave on server, and it works intermittently. Sometimes it does not download the old messages, sometimes it does. And, unfortunately, I am back to where I was last night, and am no longer able to delete messages using the webmail interface. Sigh. At least I was able to delete 100 messages during the time it was working...

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@scififan wrote:

I set Thunderbird to leave on server, and it works intermittently. Sometimes it does not download the old messages, sometimes it does. And, unfortunately, I am back to where I was last night, and am no longer able to delete messages using the webmail interface. Sigh. At least I was able to delete 100 messages during the time it was working...

Again, I think it is just some Verizon email servers with problems, I just sent myself another test message and deleted it just fine using webmail. I think (but don't know) that it is pot luck which email server you talk to, maybe based on workload or something, which could explain why sometimes things work and other times they don't.

Keller, TX 76248

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Verizon is saying this issue is resolved. Can anyone confirm?

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

After leaving our email up for a few hours today and over 1000 emails it finally removed the files from the server and back to normal for now.

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

@somegirl wrote:

Verizon is saying this issue is resolved. Can anyone confirm?

I have my fingers crossed, but it does seem to be working properly now. YAY.

0 Likes