excessive copyright notices
Bobdole3
Enthusiast - Level 2

i got a 3rd copyright notice for a file that was on my network over a month ago but mpaa keeps sending a new ding on my account, what do i do? I know the file isnt being shared over network and has been deleted.

i called customer service, they had me on hold for 45min then just gave me the run around saying there is nothing they can do.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: excessive copyright notices
Bobdole3
Enthusiast - Level 2

well i have gotten a solution from verizon live chat, seems like they are more willing to help since there is some accountability. I have come to realize that verizon customer support number is useless and just serves as a way to annoy customers into never calling again.

but after the chat they changed my IP at no problem, so mpaa can stop sending false notices. I may invest in a vpn proxy to ensure this doesnt happen again. it seems once mpaa gets your IP they wont stop.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you also checked your computers for any P2P Software which is still running by chance, and have you also checked your Wireless for any intruders who shouldn't be using the network? For the Wireless, make sure you are using WPA2 encryption with a good password.

Be on the lookout for smartphones too, especially Android devices. You can run P2P software from such devices and they could likely be causing problems, although it is unlikely.

0 Likes
Bobdole3
Enthusiast - Level 2

so if my network is secure and nothing else is sharing but the mpaa is sending the same request over and over again im screwed? i guess ill go back to comcast and get a vpn proxy whie im at it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You wouldn't be screwed. It means they are falsely identifying you as still transferring data if you have ensured you're not actually downloading or uploading the content, or for that matter if via torrent, you are still in the swarm of the torrent. If the copyright notifications are still giving you issues, they may supply contact info to contest the notice. Away from that, you'll have to get Verizon involved, and also consider getting a computer technician to stop by to double check everything should the copyright notices continue. As long as you document things and prove that you are not transferring this data, and are taking efforts to stop the warnings they can't do anything to you.

The trick here is, the copyright system relies on the checking of torrent/swarms. If you are running P2P software or any sort of plug-in in your browser, or any sort of device (such as a NAS), please shut it down and see if the notices continue. If they stop, I would take the problematic device off the network until you can verify it is no longer in a swarm for the content.

0 Likes
Bobdole3
Enthusiast - Level 2

well i have gotten a solution from verizon live chat, seems like they are more willing to help since there is some accountability. I have come to realize that verizon customer support number is useless and just serves as a way to annoy customers into never calling again.

but after the chat they changed my IP at no problem, so mpaa can stop sending false notices. I may invest in a vpn proxy to ensure this doesnt happen again. it seems once mpaa gets your IP they wont stop.

0 Likes