fios connections dying at verizon-gni.net
brpublications
Enthusiast - Level 2

I discovered this morning that I could not reach -- by web or by ftp -- my main client's server. Nothing had changed since last night, the host reported no server issues and I could reach other sites hosted by that group, but I could no longer reach a particular server.

A traceroute indicated that the connection was dying at verizon-gni.net. Oddly enough, I can get the site on a PC but not on a Mac. A colleague had an identical problem with a Verizon fios connection last year with a different site.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Anyone found a solution? 

Thanks --

Re: fios connections dying at verizon-gni.net
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you able to access using www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/  ???

brpublications
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems to have been fixed some time yesterday, so I can now access the site again. I don't have any information yet on how it was fixed -- will report back when I do. Thanks for your help --

0 Likes
CSSBob

I was wondering if you ever figured out what caused this anomoly?   Some of our FIOS customers are having problems resolving to our web site ( www.showings.com ).  They think the problem is us since they can get to other web sites, but can't get to ours.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

0 Likes
majo58

Sorry to hear your having same issue I am having, tech agent I had blamed both my computers for this issue, said to call PC manufacturers that it was their fault.  I can't take much more!!!!!

majo58

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it will self heal.  BUT you should be able to temporarily access it with a proxy. Go to https://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/
and u can access it until you get a new ip address.

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is physically power off your router when you got to bed tonight. In the morning when you turn it on you will like get a new ip address and be able to access like normal.

If you can access the site through a proxy (like https://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/), then that means that fios is providing you a clear path from point a to b.

So what's blocking you? Most of the time its the site itself blocking or banning the ip address you have. Not to any fault of your own probably. The ip addresses are shared between residential users, so whoever had your ip before you may have reeked havoc on their boards.

Its also possible that its something as simple as an out of date Bogon filter and a new ip would solve that too.

Remember they have a two to four hour lease time with their ip's.   so without calling them and asking that they release the ip address, you HAVE to leave the modem powered off for at least that amount of time.  anything less is too short and most likely will not work 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is physically power off your router when you got to bed tonight. In the morning when you turn it on you will like get a new ip address and be able to access like normal.

So what's blocking you? Most of the time its the site itself blocking or banning the ip address you have. Not to any fault of your own probably. The ip addresses are shared between residential users, so whoever had your ip before you may have reeked havoc on their boards.

Its also possible that its something as simple as an out of date Bogon filter and a new ip would solve that too.

Remember they have a two to four hour lease time with their ip's.   so without calling them and asking that they release the ip address, you HAVE to leave the modem powered off for at least that amount of time.  anything less is too short and most likely will not work 

That is interesting, and helps Residential users and Bussiness user(s) that use PPPoE OR DHCP.

What about Bussiness user(s) that use a Public Static IP?

For example, while my issue at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25444271-Lost-access-to-some-sites

was resolved for me, what about other Bussiness user(s) that use a Public Static IP?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Business users with a public static IP address face a tough problem.    It's possible that it's some wierd verizon issue, but that is rare and undocumented as far as I can tell.    Verizon will open a ticket if they get enough static users having a problem or a similiar problem, and then they work with the website admin's in question.  usually it's an out of date bogon filter at that point, and the admin has to update their filter list, or you have to get a new static ip.   and getting a new static ip is a touchy subject, because it isn't simply just getting a new ip.  it's a big ordeal, you got A records to update, mx records ptr records etc... it's a pain in the rear.   so it's best to email the site admin and ask that your subnet be added to their bogon filter list and to do it post haste! 

here is a good story about something that happened to someone with a similiar issue.  http://www.keyrelevance.com/articles/bogons.htm

brpublications
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the slow response -- just saw this. As far as I understand it, it related to the route taken between my ip address and my client's server. I did power off the router, but that didn't seem to help. My isp gave me the tracenet info, which I passed on to Verizon. They turned it over to network services, and when I asked what had fixed it, they just said it was an issue in their network that had been resolved -- the person on the line clearly didn't have more information than that, so I didn't pursue it.

Before it was fixed, I had also spoken with the host for my client's site, who said they could shift the site to another server, since the problem seemed to be specific to that server (which wasn't having any problems generally, just in verizon fios access). Seemed ilke a good backup solution, although it would have meant a bit of downtime for the client's website.

Oddly enough, the issue seems to be specific to Mac computers. Only thing I could figure is that maybe they're set to time out more quickly than PCs? But I could reach the site on a PC on the same network as the Macs that couldn't reach it.

That's all I know! Hope it's useful --