four hours on the phone and 1 tech visit and still getting less than 10/2 when I orded 15/5 FIOS
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not a happy customer right now.

My building wanted FIOS installed. But, they gave us VDSL. However, customer service reps like to argue with me and tell me I have FIOS, because that's what our accounts say.

Many of us held back on getting FIOS after they heard only VDSL was put in. I'm one of the unlucky ones who got VDSL and it is slower than cable.

I've been spending hours on the phone trying to at least get the VDSL speed upgraded and it's all for nothing. I don't even get the follow-up calls back that I'm promised from the techs (just the automated survey).

I called Thursday because I was getting only .6 on upload. That's ridiculous. I work in A/V and upload city council videos. I need something faster. I wanted to switch to FIOS because even cable was not fast enough.

One person tells me I still only have 10/2 and to order 15/5. I call. They tell me they can't switch me because I already have 15/5. I said the tech told me I had 10/2. The customer service rep says "Oh, over here it says you have 10/2." I have no idea what "Over here means." But, she is still unable to switch me and hands the phone back over to tech, who says he can't help me because he can't upgrade service, so he hands me back to another service rep and I have to explain everything again, and then she sends me to some other person.. to another person..

I am hanging on by a thread as a customer. At this point, I don't care if it's FIOS or VDSL as long as I can upgrade to the speed I want. But, they won't even let me upgrade from 10/2!!!

After escallating my complaint on the phone last night I was told I would have 15/5 by this morning and a follow up call by a human being. Neither have happened.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but cable had better support by people who could actually help me...and more constant data rates on u/l and d/l.

If I can't get 20/20 (what I really want), I'm dropping the whole FIOS package and going back to cable.

(PS - what your web site says is really available at my address is also false.. talk to your techs)

0 Likes
Re: four hours on the phone and 1 tech visit and still getting less than 10/2 when I orded 15/5 FIOS
prisaz
Legend

You may want to read this thread. Some of the older MDUs were limited to 10/2. I suggest you have tech support check the type of Multi Dwelling Unit that is installed. If they are selling 15/5 when it should work on the newer unit, and not the old. They should change out the hardware that is installed. A little more complex than a simple change out of a Single unit ONT, but should be done if they are selling services they can't support.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FIOS-MDU-Speed-Limit/m-p/234031#M15473

UPDATE

I posted to some Verizon people that may be able to help with this. It should be easy for them to see if your MDU ONT with VDSL unit supports more than 10/2. If they are selling 15/5 they should either say it is not available or replace hardware. I believe they will replace hardware. They have replaced hardware at my house to support advertised speeds.

You may get a private message where the envelope on the top right will turn gold. Let everyone here know if they help you and what the end result is. They may be able to fix it, and give you 20/5, you never know. Many FiOS users are getting 5-6 mbps faster DL speeds than what is sold.

Re: four hours on the phone and 1 tech visit and still getting less than 10/2 when I orded 15/5 FIOS
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

All I know is the tech who came out couldn't make heads or tails of the ONT and had a very puzzled look on his face even when he saw my modem/router was a one-box solution rather than the two boxes he usually installs for VDSL.

The sense that I got from both the phone and tech visit is that one person doesn't know what the other is doing/one department doesn't know what the other is doing. That's a systemic problem at Verizon.

As the customer, it is not my job to know even as much about ONT's as I do at this point. It is only my job to point the tech to where it is in the basement and ask nicely is my slow service can be fixed. It is the tech's job as well as phone supports job to figure out that an MDU/ONT needs upgrading.

But what is puzzling, is that this equipment was only installed in the building this past Summer. They sold my friend a few floors up 35/35, and of course he was only getting the speed i"m getting and his is even cutting in and out. But, he's not as aggressive in calling to complain as I am.

Another customer in my building switched from regular ol' DSL to the new VDSL and is now getting slower service. SHe's the nicest, least tech-savvy person I know and hasn't called to complain.

The rest of my building wanted to switch to FIOS, but held off on doing so because of our experiences.

Verizon needs to make this right. If it requires ripping out the inferior junk they installed in the basement, so bit it.

For me, I want them to actually push fiber up the ugly orange tubes they installed visibly in my building's back stairwell. They ran tubes to push fiber but abandoned them for VDSL  for who-knows-why.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have modified my previous post. Perhaps the install was not done properly or you have the wrong mix of hardware.

OH. ONE MORE NOTE.

Since I posted this issue in a private Verizon forms location. It may not be seen until perhaps Monday. Then you never know. Someone may see it this weekend and look into it, or it may be next week.

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Additionally, why does it say I have 15/5 in one part of my accoutn and 10/2 in another. When I pull up my account on "My Verizon," it says I have 10/2, but they tell me on the phone they can't switch me to 15/5 because I already have it!?!? And the escallated call to a supervisor was supposed to fix that and I was supposed to get a followup phone call from a live person and neither happened. I'm still 10/2 (or slower) and it says so when I log into my account.

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for doing that! 🙂

By the way, as soon as I get what I'm originally supposed to (15/5), I'm going to ask for 20/20. They should upgrade if they can't provide 20/20.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Billing and sales may have 15/5 on your account and Tech support may only show 10/2 because of hardware limitations. Meaning you were sold 15/5 and provisioned 10/2 because of the hardware installed. Anyway there should be someone from Verizon that knows how this works and can fix it. The owners of the property if it is rental or an HOA may have prevented Verizon from running fiber to each unit, so VDSL was installed using existing copper from the basement. Also could bave been structually imposible or very costly to get fiber to each unit.

I believe 20/5 is the limit on VDSL but I could be wrong. I hope someone in the know straightens this out for you to get the best experience possible. I am lucky to have a town home where I have 35/35 and this is my latest speed test. The outbound is slowed a bit becaus of security hardware I have installed.

unning 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 31.62Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.91Mb/s

Hubrisnxs
Legend

VDSL speeds:
•If MDU/VDSL-1 (Zyxel modem), then 20/5
•If MDU/VDSL-2 (Westell 9100VM), then

·         Current max. FiOS VDSL-2 speeds are the 50/20 tier....

The highest symmetrical VDSL-2 tier is 20/20..

the VDSL 2's are on GPON networks and the VDSL1's are BPON's 

Side note: FiOS's network download capacity consists of 32 users sharing 2400 Mbps for GPON or 622 Mbps for BPON. Cable networks using DOCSIS consist of typically 125 users sharing 160 Mbps

So question to the OP is which of those sounds more like what you have?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

on the 10/2 vs 15/5 thing, you may want to log in at http://www.myverizon.com and view your account and see what it is that you're paying for.   if it says 10/2 there, then the orders guys need to fix that, if it says 15/5 then the tech support guys need to at the very least provision you 15/5   if you get slower because there is congestion, then that is one thing, but they are hampering you out of the starting gate by not having you provisioned correctly.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

VDSL speeds:
•If MDU/VDSL-1 (Zyxel modem), then 20/5
•If MDU/VDSL-2 (Westell 9100VM), then

·         Current max. FiOS VDSL-2 speeds are the 50/20 tier....

The highest symmetrical VDSL-2 tier is 20/20..

the VDSL 2's are on GPON networks and the VDSL1's are BPON's 

Side note: FiOS's network download capacity consists of 32 users sharing 2400 Mbps for GPON or 622 Mbps for BPON. Cable networks using DOCSIS consist of typically 125 users sharing 160 Mbps

So question to the OP is which of those sounds more like what you have?

Cool I did not have all the VDSL info. Thanks for providing it. I learn something every day.

0 Likes