help with controlling internet for pc with cat5 connection
cadman33619
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

i have a wireless router (Westell 9100EM) with 2 PCs connected via wireless and 2 PCs connected via CAT5E. i'm trying to control the internet so that the kids have to ask me to enter a password any time they want to use the internet. how can i do this?

so far what i have done is change the WEP key and  set the 2 PCs that use wireless to "not remember the network" so that it ask for the wep key eah time. is thee an easier way? and what can i do the the other 2 PCs?

i've looked into the parental control software offered by verizon but thats not at all what im looking for. any help would be great

thanks

cadman

Re: help with controlling internet for pc with cat5 connection
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I guess putting a password on the PC itself isn't sufficient enough so when you boot PC up or the PC going into screen saver mode it will ask you for password?  I know its not what you are looking for but a thought!!!!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the only way I know to do somethig like that is with parental control software. Parental control software would allow you to set it up so that the kids can use the computer offline but a password would be needed to access internet based programs. Other than that, I dont know of any other way.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

How about using K9  (www.k9webprotection.com) from Bluecoat.  It's free for home use and you can configure it to do category blocks (like OpenDNS), or you can block by time of day.  It allows overrides with a password and it has a "supervisor" mode where you can essentially set the machine up to block all traffic all the time and then turn it on for a period of time of your choosing.   Not sure if that's exactly what you want, but might give you some combination of options you find workable.

0 Likes