internet and OTA antenna on the same line?
CaptnIgnit

I have the fios internet plan but no TV service. I'm looking at setting up an antenna outside and running it through the coax already in the house. The issue is that the coax is already used for the internet and I was curious if its possible to run the signals together? If so, how would I do it?

I took a look at where the coax punchdown outside is and I see a combiner/splitter that goes out to the house. It looks like the fios coax cable was hooked up where the regular cable used to come into the house. There is also a splitter inside the house where the modem hooks up with the coax cable. This leads me to believe it may have been setup to support two sources already, what can I look at to see if the splitters will work for OTA signals?

I'm fairly new to this stuff so the rule "explain like I'm 5" would apply Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: internet and OTA antenna on the same line?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Yes, you can run OTA signals on the same coax as FIOS internet as long as you don't have FIOS-TV.

The frequency of the MOCA WAN signal used between the ONT and the FIOS router is well above the OTA frequencies.

All you need is 1x2 splitter/combiner to merge the signal from the ONT and the OTA antenna.

Then split out the coax to the router and the TV.

Of course, VZ probably won't support this configuration if you have a problem.

If you want to avoid any possible conflict, I would suggest running cat5 from the ONT to your router and having VZ switch your WAN connection from coax to cat5.  That way the OTA signal would be isolated to the coax and no support concerns.

Re: internet and OTA antenna on the same line?
prisaz
Legend

@Anti-Phish wrote:

Yes, you can run OTA signals on the same coax as FIOS internet as long as you don't have FIOS-TV.

The frequency of the MOCA WAN signal used between the ONT and the FIOS router is well above the OTA frequencies.

All you need is 1x2 splitter/combiner to merge the signal from the ONT and the OTA antenna.

Then split out the coax to the router and the TV.

Of course, VZ probably won't support this configuration if you have a problem.

If you want to avoid any possible conflict, I would suggest running cat5 from the ONT to your router and having VZ switch your WAN connection from coax to cat5.  That way the OTA signal would be isolated to the coax and no support concerns.

Yes I used the same configuration with Directv, and one 1x2 splitter/combiner on each end. The higher frequency runs on one side of the splitter and the lower frequency on the other side.

I like Anti-Phish's idea of having the Ethernet WAN from the router to the ONT, and the coax removed tom the ONT completely if you have not TV service.

0 Likes