is FiOS internet capable of delivering 1Gbits?
NickZQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

So is FiOS internet capable of offering 1Gbits at a reasonable price?  I would like something like Google Fiber 1Gbits service.

0 Likes
Re: is FiOS internet capable of delivering 1Gbits?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS uses two different passive optical networking (PON) technologies.  BPON is an older, slower technology that does not support gigabit speeds.  GPON is the latest technology and does support gigabit speeds.   FiOS first rolled out BPON and added GPON support later.  GPON is available in most, but not all, locations where FiOS is offered.  It can vary by building.

You can tell if you live in a location with GPON by the maximum speed tier offered.  BPON max speed is low, no more than 75Mbps.   Slower maximum speeds may be found in apartment buildings with older installs due to the type of in-building distribution network used (VDSL).

The max speed Verizon offers for GPON  is 500MBps.  This usually costs upwards of $200/month.

I've not seen any announcement's from Verizon about plans to offer 1Gbps over GPON, but they could if they want to.  Like all things at Verizon, this will be a business decision driven by a cost benefit analysis.

Enjoy.

db909
Contributor - Level 3

@NickZQ wrote:

So is FiOS internet capable of offering 1Gbits at a reasonable price?  I would like something like Google Fiber 1Gbits service.

Capable, yes!  Likely, NO!

It is kind of ironic that many cable companies are offerring 1GB in some markets and FIOS isn't.  So much for fiber!

FIOS is getting out of the high speed internet busines.  They sold off California, Texas, and Florida a few months ago to Frontier.  Since then they have raised their rates.  I would not expect much in terms of faster speeds or any signifcant improvements.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't think any residential user needs 1Gb.

You are still limited to the speed at the server at the other end.

Even if you had 20 devices trying to stream at once, they would get 50Mb each.

What are you going to do with the few seconds saved on that file download?

0 Likes