moving router (ethernet and coax?)
mikebuck127

So,  I apologize if this is redundant to other posts. 

I have a FIOS router that is currently running on ethernet (I think so at least. The light for ethernet is on while the coax is out). It is hooked up to both the ethernet from the outside and the coax. I understand the need for the coax connection for my FIOS TV apps and whatnot.

Here's my issue. My ethernet was installed without a jack. The installer just ran a straight line into the room and put a plug on the end. I need to move the router out to another part of the house as I need the room for a baby room. I tried just unplugging and relocating, but it clearly doesn't work for internet without the ethernet cord.

Here's my question. Can I have FIOS just switch me over to a coax system? Is there a charge for this? Are there benefits/issues with doing this?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

0 Likes
Re: moving router (ethernet and coax?)
bmclark9798
Enthusiast - Level 2

hey hows it going. if you contact the verizon fios technician support they should be able to contact a network technician

and have your internet connection moved to a coax line if your ONT (main verizon box usually located outside of the home or in garage) supports it. If you're ONT does not support this option, they would have to replace it, which would usually cost their initial fee which is 91 for the first hour and 46 for an additional 30 minutes. If it supports it, it will be a fast, free change and you could move your router to any location in the home that has a T.V coax. I'm about 90% sure about this.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are only two very old models of the ONT (610,611) that do not support a MOCA WAN (coax) connection.

Unless your FIOS installation is very old (2006 or so), it's unlikely you have one of those ONTs.

You don't mention what speed tier you're on.  Ethernet installs are required for speed tiers over 100Mbps.

So if you have a speed tier over 100Mbps, that would preclude switching to a coax WAN connection.

If neither of the above items are a factor, then you can be switched to a coax WAN connection by a phone call to VZ.

There is no charge for doing this by phone.

0 Likes
mikebuck127
We had it put in in 2007. I have been through all the levels of Fios support i can think of, and they are saying I need to pay to have it moved or to have it fixed. Either way it feels pretty crappy seeing I've been with the Fios thing for so long, and I was told repeatedly that they would move it for free when it was needed.

We are at the 50/25 speeds, but I don't think this plays into it.

Thanks
0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You didn't answer the question about what model of ONT you have.

You will have to open the cover to the customer area of the ONT.

The model number should be on the inside.

0 Likes