multiple problems with FIOS internet
vinnie365

For about 3-4 weeks now my internert connection has been going in and out multiple times a day. The wifi is still connected but there is no actual internert connection. This problem occurs on all devices connected to the Wifi at the time. The only soultion that seems to work is wait it out, or turn the router on and off. This is very frustrating especially when it's happening everyday (frequently). The router is about 3-4 years old now do you think it could be going? Am I better off shelling out the $115 and buying the Actiontech N router? Is it possible that that will actually help me out?

Also today my new service was activated (I upgraded to 50/25 speeds) and I just ran a speed test, I'm only getting 15/15 (when using the Verizon speed test, speedtest.net shows 20/20) so what am I paying for? It isn't a distance problem I moved closer to the router and got the same results. I attached the report from the verizon speed test below. This is all extremly frustrating and making me question why I am paying for this service.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [66608]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 16.51Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 15.59Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = x86_64, Version = 10.7.4
Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.6.0_33

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 66608 bytes.
2.4 Gbps OC-48 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 31.01 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and 
There were 1 packets retransmitted, 45 duplicate acks received, and 45 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 26.16% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (65.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 72.02% of the time.
This connection is network limited 1.83% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable

0 Likes
Re: multiple problems with FIOS internet
tns
Master - Level 2

Running WIFI you are not likely to do much better.  At a minimum you need to upgrade your computer and router to wireless N to do better.

0 Likes
vinnie365

Okay I plan on purchasing the N router within the week, but mentioned upgrade the computer? Currently the router is hooked up to a crappy old PC from 2002. Everything else uses the wifi (my Macbook, iPhone, kindle, and iPhones). Would a computer upgrade really be neccesary? Only one person in the house uses that wired connection.

0 Likes
vinnie365

Okay I just did a wire connection with my macbook and Im still getting nowhere the advertised download speed. (50/25 is what my plan is) this is what the Verizon speed test gave me.

Your download
speed is
26.621 Mbps

Your upload
speed is
29.006 Mbps

what gives? 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Wired connection should get close to the full speed.  Try running verizon's speedtest

http;//speedtest.verizon.net 

and if the result is still low on a wired connection click on details and post here.  Note hide your IP which it shows. 

Consider running verizons FIOS optimizer at least on your PC.  NOt sure it runs on a mac.  The report hints that your receive buffer is too low

0 Likes
vinnie365

the speed test went over 50mbps when using wired connection. Is there another way to add an aditional router to my room while keeping the one downstiars for the desktop? Or is my best bet purchasing the N router from Verizon? would it improve / help alot? 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Probably better buying your own Wireless N access point.  The Verizon one is a bit pricey and not as good as some of the others as it isapparently not Dual band.

0 Likes
vinnie365

Can you recommend one? I purchased a linksys one about 2 years ago but ended up returning because it seems like it didnt improve much. (but I don't believe it was an N)

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

personaly I am using a Netgear one, but others will recommeond others including Cisco (owners of the former linksys).

0 Likes
vinnie365

@tns wrote:

personaly I am using a Netgear one, but others will recommeond others including Cisco (owners of the former linksys).

can  you send me the model? Would it help me atleast rech 30mbps? 

0 Likes