need help setting up second actiontec router
vonnielsen

Need step by step instructions to add a second actiontec router over coax to increase by wifi range to a different part of the house. I have verizon fios 73/35. I recently upgraded by router to the Actiontec rev I and I would like to use the left over router (also an Actiontech router) in a area with poor wifi coverage. My main router is an Actiontect rev I that I have my computer hooked up to. What is the procedure to make this work. I hear I have to make it a MoCa connection and use it as an access point. I'm moderately challenged when it comes to understanding all this computer jargon and need some help in basic laymens terms. (I do learn easily though and willing to get technical). THanks

0 Likes
Re: need help setting up second actiontec router
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

I used this document myself when I did the same thing. Sounds like you'll want to start with step 2.

https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/15984

vonnielsen

I went to step 2 of the above link but when I go to step 2.2 to assign the rounter and IP address on the same subnet. I entered 192.168.1.2 like it says to do. I get an error message of "The Device's IP address should not be in the range of the IP pool ". I tried a few other numbers and still go the same message. Now what?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Disable the secondary router's DHCP server.  That should allow you to assign the secondary router a static IP address.

If that fails, change the secondary's router's DHCP range to start at 192.168.1.10.

0 Likes
vonnielsen

I tried to disable DCHP under "IP address distribution" under settings of router. clicked on disable DHCP. A couple of warnings popped upabout something, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention and hit apply. Then went back to IP address and changed it to 192.168.1.2. The router tried to reboot but would freeze and then nothing. Now I can't access the router at all. I've tried a hard reset mulitple times now and now I'm not sure what the password is for the router (tried admin and password). After 3 attempts it would lock me out!!!. I'm so frustrated. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vonnielsen wrote:

I tried to disable DCHP under "IP address distribution" under settings of router. clicked on disable DHCP. A couple of warnings popped upabout something, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention and hit apply. Then went back to IP address and changed it to 192.168.1.2. The router tried to reboot but would freeze and then nothing. Now I can't access the router at all. I've tried a hard reset mulitple times now and now I'm not sure what the password is for the router (tried admin and password). After 3 attempts it would lock me out!!!. I'm so frustrated. 

If you disable the dhcp service on that router it won't give the machine you are connecting with an IP address - if you are going to disable the dhcp server then you would have to give your connecting machine a static IP address on the 192.168.1 subnet.  After that you should be able to connect to the router at 192.168.1.2.  In reality there should be no need to disable the dhcp server until you are done configuring it.

However now you have the issue of the password.

After you reset the router to factory default you should connect to the router at 192.168.1.1

The userid will be admin

The password can be one of several things

it may be the password  that's printed on the label on the back of the router (not the the wireless one)

it may be the serial number also printed on the back of the router

it may be password

you may get prompted to enter a new password of your choice.

When you connect what does the logon screen say?

If I missed any other oddball password setting that it might be I'm sure someone else will chime in to show me the error of my ways.

Once you get logged on, even though it should not be necessary change the dhcp server pool to start at 10 - the router will reboot

login to it again at 192.168.1.1

then follow what step 2.2 says

after you change the ip address of the router you will lose contact with it

login again at the new ip address you gave it 192.168.1.2?

disable the dhcp service - the router will reboot - you won't be able to reconnect until you bridge it

connect the secondary router to the desired coax point - your configuration machine should get a dhcp address on the 192.168.1 subnet from the primary router via the scondary router

Does it?  If so all is good.

0 Likes