need more ethernet jacks
cyraxote3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 5 things to attach and only 4 ports on the Actiontec router. Can I add a router and attach to WAN port to get more jacks? If so, are there any special settings on the Actiontec router or on the 2nd router?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: need more ethernet jacks
prisaz
Legend

@cyraxote wrote:

I have 5 things to attach and only 4 ports on the Actiontec router. Can I add a router and attach to WAN port to get more jacks? If so, are there any special settings on the Actiontec router or on the 2nd router?

Thanks.

The WAN port is only used if you have Ethernet from the Verizon Fiber Box (ONT)  to the router. That is for the connection coming in, and not for additional devices, Since it is not in use, I would say you have a 75/35 speed subscription or below, and that comes in on the COAX. I would just use a switch and not a router. Lan to Lan. Read below regarding various configurations.

The lower cost route would be to purchase a switch and just place it in series with one of your your Verizon router's lan ports. If you have devices that will operate gigabit, I would invest in one of those. No settings, and no need for a router. Also if you upgrade to 150/65, or have the newest router you will need the gigabit switch. If you upgrade to 150/65 or above, Verizon should have supplied the latest gigabit router, and in that case you would need a switch to match those speeds. 10/100/1000 Gigabit switch.

The easiest way to maintain a suported configuration is to just use a switch and not add a second router. If you do not have the newest verizon router that has gigabit, you may wish to purchase a gigabit switch that supports the number of connections that you want, and then only connect one lan to one lan the Verizon router. Then place all your hardwire connections on the new switch. That is if you have CAT5e or CAT6 wiring, and your hardwird devices will support the faster speed. Now days I would just get the 10/100/1000 Gigabit switch for future use regardless. If a switch is used, you can use all the lan ports on the Verizon router and the switch. Everything will be seen as one network. Unlike adding an additional router.

Latest Verizon Router with the standard number of ports.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fileshare/plm/brochure/ATGIGEBHR_brochure.pdf

I could not find anything on the Verizon support site for adding additional ports. But a switch is the least complicated route. Be it a 10/100 version, or a 10/100/1000 version. Below are some additional resources.

Now if you wish to use a second router for better wireless speeds, or increased range, there would be additional settings.

Here are network FAQs regarding supported configurations and non supported configurations.

Regardlest if you add an additional router, do not expect Verizon to support the configuration.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

Adding a second router is covered here in various configurations.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077