Re: not reaching new internet speed wireless
tns
Master - Level 2

Doc I have says wpa2 tkip actually means wpa supported with TKIP and WPA2 with AES.  WPA2 is suppose to use CCMP i.e. AES.

Even if allowed on some devices, TKIP is subject to various attacks that can break security, so it should be avoided.

griz21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have an Actiontec router - not sure what revision at the moment - but I am only seeing speeds in the 3-5 Mbps range.  From my hard-wired desktop I often see speeds near 50Mbps but seems my wireless connections in the house are all very slow.  I'd love to see my wireless even approach 25/25 - any ideas?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you should go into your router, and change the wireless channel.

Channels 1. 6 and 11 are all that you should use. 

To change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1 

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. it's under the UPC Bar code unless you have the RED band actiontec with two antenna's and then the login password is labeled as login password.   Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

0 Likes