not reaching new internet speed wireless
itsme1232

Just switched to 50/25 but can only reach max of 25/25 wireless...wired it hit over 50 easy....do I need different network card or settings or something?

0 Likes
Re: not reaching new internet speed wireless
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It depends on your router and the revision of your router.

If you have Revisions A - E then they are Wireless G routers, capable of a theoretical 54mbs, but real world will be about what you are getting now.

If you have Revision F then it is a PRE Draft N wireless capable of 65 Mbs theoretical max, and real world is slightly higher than what you are getting. 

If you have Revision G or I (they skip H) then you would have a Full Wireless N (or as close as VZ gets to full N) and a max of 130 Mbs (maybe 160 I can't remember off the top of my head) and real world speeds are probably in the 60's to 70's Mbs.

And if you have a rev F through I then you'll need a wireless N adapter for your PC  

The Latest Verizon Router is available for purchase, but I don't think you get one for the 50 Mbs plan, you definetely get it when you get the 100+ Mbs plan. 

0 Likes
itsme1232

Thank you very much for your help. 

Would it have been that difficult for them to just tell me that during the hours they had me plugging and rebooting things today???lolol

It appears I'm running a Westell A90 rev. B.

0 Likes
humarock1150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Rev. I but still reaching only the same speeds, they changed me two days ago, I did reboot the router, but still not getting anything faster....could it be they didnt' provision the router? Or am I missing something simple as usual?  LOl

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@itsme123 - The Westells are 802.11g only.  25/25 is very good for wireless g.  To get better speeds you need to have a 802.11n router and device.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@humarock1150 - There is no provisioning of the router.  Are you sure your device is 802.11n compatible?

0 Likes
ChrisK151
Enthusiast - Level 1

With 802.11n, in order to get more than 54Mbps, you have to either use no encryption or WPA2. To reach the maximum potential throughput, WPA2 with AES is required. I had this issue when I got a new router and noticed the speeds weren't nearly as fast as what it claimed, but as soon as I switched to AES I got 300Mbps link speed rather than topping out at 144 (not enough for 75Mbps FiOS). The Actiontec router doesn't seem to have an option to select AES or no AES, so as long as you pick WPA2 you should be fine.

itsme1232

How do I go about selecting WPA2 and AES?  Sorry if thats a dumb question...lol

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@itsme123 wrote:

I believe WPA2 is always AES.  WPA allowed a choice of AES or TKIP,  don't choice tkip.

The general instructions for various FIOS routers begins here

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/networking/setup/security/125521....#

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns wrote:

@itsme123 wrote:

I believe WPA2 is always AES.  WPA allowed a choice of AES or TKIP,  don't choice tkip.

The general instructions for various FIOS routers begins here

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/networking/setup/security/125521....#

WPA and WPA2 can be set for AES or TKIP. Use TKIP with WPA and AES with WPA2. Those are the most widely supported modes.

0 Likes