port forwarding, blocking?
timmeh_p

Hi All,

I am setting up a security link and I need to forward a port. Does anyone know if Verizon blocks ports? It appears I can set  up a port on my Westell, but when I test it (external link), it is not open. I can see the typical service ports open, just not the one I set up. Maybe operator error? Thanks for any input if someone has done this successfully. Anyone use the service ports?4567?

0 Likes
Re: port forwarding, blocking?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi there.  Verizon blocks only one port and that is outbound port 25 (spammers)

other than that, it may be the westell itself. One thing to be mindful of, is that the westell does not like when you define source ports, so source port should be ANY, and you only define the destination port.

Does your rule look similiar to this. 

192.168.1.x   TCP ANY -> 4567

?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@timmeh_p wrote:

Hi All,

I am setting up a security link and I need to forward a port. Does anyone know if Verizon blocks ports? It appears I can set  up a port on my Westell, but when I test it (external link), it is not open. I can see the typical service ports open, just not the one I set up. Maybe operator error? Thanks for any input if someone has done this successfully. Anyone use the service ports?4567?

port 4567 has a defined rule on your Westell router to local device.

It is the Verizon "back door" access port to your router for the tech staff to be able to help you out.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Good catch, I forgot about that.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port 4567 I believe is being reserved by the Gateway for CWMP management by Verizon. You can close the port if you don't want it to be wide open, but you'll have to use another port.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I don't think I've seen anyone delete that rule for a while,  it used to be manageable, but as of the last couple years, people that deleted it, would find it returned almost instantaneously, as if it were hard coded into the router.

So the OP would probably just need to choose another port.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is hard coded, yes. I meant close it via a Firewall rule. There's a workaround still present for that. I'd have to find it.

0 Likes