router vs. bridge vs. switch...
mjs7

My router is in the basement, I buy for 35/35 and I only get speeds of 18/18 wireless (wired 42/20), thats issue #1 .

Issue #2, I have 1 cat5 wire going from router to 2nd floor and want wired setup to my tvs for netflix etc, ps3 and printer for best speeds, possible since I lose so much speed on wireless.  My question is, what's best solution for 2nd floor tvs, gaming, printer?, connect cat5 on 2nd floor to another router vs. a bridge vs. a switch?

thank you....

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: router vs. bridge vs. switch...
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@mjs wrote:

My router is in the basement, I buy for 35/35 and I only get speeds of 18/18 wireless (wired 42/20), thats issue #1 .

Issue #2, I have 1 cat5 wire going from router to 2nd floor and want wired setup to my tvs for netflix etc, ps3 and printer for best speeds, possible since I lose so much speed on wireless.  My question is, what's best solution for 2nd floor tvs, gaming, printer?, connect cat5 on 2nd floor to another router vs. a bridge vs. a switch?

thank you....

#1.  18/18 is pretty typical for 802.11g.  If you want faster wireless speeds, you'll have to upgrade to 802.11n.

#2.  Connection methods in order of preference:

• cat5
  • MOCA bridge
  • Powerline networking
  • Wireless

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@mjs wrote:

thank you....

#1.  18/18 is pretty typical for 802.11g.  If you want faster wireless speeds, you'll have to upgrade to 802.11n.

#2.  Connection methods in order of preference:

• cat5
  • MOCA bridge
  • Powerline networking
  • Wireless
0 Likes
mjs7

thank you

thank you

thank you....

0 Likes
mjs7

ok, once i get verizon to upgrade my router in the basement, that will solve my wireless speed issue, but for 2nd floor thru cat5 wiring, but connected to router, bridge or switch for tvs, gaming and printer?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@mjs wrote:

for 2nd floor thru cat5 wiring, but connected to router, bridge or switch for tvs, gaming and printer?

If you're going to run cat5 to the 2nd floor, you'll probably want to install a 5 port switch.  That will give you 4 ports for devices on the 2nd floor.

0 Likes
mjs7

again thank you for all the help and info...

0 Likes