serious lag spikes occur daily (started last month)
markinphilly

We've had Fios for many years but about one month ago (may/june 2012) we've had serious lag spikes. Ping times would creep up to 10 seconds (10,000ms) over about a minute. Often disconnecting, but typically one  packet will get through every 10 seconds or so, so throughput is almost 0 but not quite. This would last for about 10 and 30 minutes and then the problems go away.  Every day this happens 5 to 10 times typically around evening times, though sometimes in the morning too.

We are in the philadelphia area. Most of the time the  speed test says the philly to brooklyn hop has 0% loss, ping 96 ms, jitter 36ms, 9.6Mb down, 1.8Mb up which is fine. But when it goes bad it goes really bad. This kind of lag is somewhat tolerable for web surfing, and slightly annoying for ssh type work, but impossible for streaming video (without large buffers), or online games.

We've seen this on a variety of routers (wired/wireless) and computers. Lag occurs also with only one computer on non-wireless router - so it isn't someone else on our end eating up bandwidth.

We called the verizon support. They sent us a new router (didn't change anything). They remotely checked the box outside and rebooted. Problem still occurs every day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're about to switch providers.

0 Likes
Re: serious lag spikes occur daily (started last month)
SpecTP1

Did you get any response to this inquiry?  I noticed that my lag spikes have gotten consistently worse in the last couple of weeks.  I notice it in Diablo3, Mechwarrior Online, Call of Duty3, etc.. playing on multiple different PC's and consoles.

I have tried swapping in brand new D-link 857 routers using both wired and wireless connects and resetting the VZQ router as well.  None of it helps.  I even upgraded to their larger FIOS bandwidth plan but it did not alleviate the lag spike.

0 Likes
Re: serious lag spikes occur daily (started last month)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The next time you see a spike, can you provide a speed test and also provide a traceroute to one of the sites you're seeing latency?

0 Likes