slow upload and dl speeds
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

a few months ago I was getting 50mbps down and 50mbps up on a mac, using wireless.

today my download is 23mbps and the upload is 6mbps. ive changed nothing. not sure why theirs such a speed decrease.

0 Likes
Re: slow upload and dl speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any improvement with a wired connection by chance?

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

i'm unable to get wired to work with ethernet on the mac. which is weird it's worked before.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to check System Preferences to see if the Ethernet hardware is still being detected. The Ethernet adapter should also be set to use DHCP. Make sure a MAC Address appears when you go here: System Preferences > Network >Ethernet (May be Display Ethernet, Thunderbolt Ethernet, or USB Ethernet too depending on your Mac) > Advanced > Hardware. The presence of a MAC Address shows the Mac can see the hardware.

damich444

Two things:

1.  I'm in the same boat on speeds.  My issue seems to be more acute on upload speeds.  Doesn't matter if I'm wired or not I'm getting 1-5 Mbps.  Download is generally ok.  FIOS is sending a tech out in a couple days

2.  Re the ethernet and the Mac - is it giving you a 'self assigned IP' message?   That happens on mine.  If it is here is the fix:   Go to the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer.  Worked for me. 

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

not working here.

I get self assisnged IP and no ip, then this.

Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

0 Likes