unknown network traffic / router traffic monitoring
QuasiModem

So I got a new PC with windows 7 on it, and I installed this gadget that monitors network traffic, and it shows a lot of traffic that my local PC isn't showing, so I am thinking there is something running on the LAN that I can't see. I was looking to find a live, better program to monitor the actiontec router, for traffic. anyone know of anything that can maybe show me who is using all the bandwidth on my network?

i have found software for Linksys, but nothing for the Actiontec.

Thanks,

Quasimodem

Fios in Florida

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unknown network traffic / router traffic monitoring
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireshark - network protocol analyzer - install it on a pc connected to the router and set it to monitor ip address 192.168.1.1

http://www.wireshark.org/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireshark - network protocol analyzer - install it on a pc connected to the router and set it to monitor ip address 192.168.1.1

http://www.wireshark.org/

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Keep in mind that when looking at Wireshark (sniffer) software there are different types of traffic:

Unicast

Broadcast

Multicast

Unicast is traffic between two devices.  You will see the traffic between the PC with wireshark and another device on your local network such as a printer, another PC or the Router.  You should not see traffic between another PC and the Internet for example.  Using a phone as an example some calls you and the conversation is between you and the person on the other end of the phone.  This is unicast traffic.  Using defaults of the actiontec, IP address seen will be 192.168.1.1 for the router and 192.168.1.2-99 for devices on your network.  If you have the TV service, 192.168.1.100-1xx is used for the cable boxes.

Broadcast traffic is traffic sent to all devices.  Its not directed toward a particular PC but rather usually looking for information.  In a sniffer trace you will see broadcast traffic. Going back to the phone example, someone makes an announcement on an overhead intercom system that is broadcast traffic.  Broadcast traffic will be seen as 192.168.255.255

Multicast traffic is traffic from one device for many devices.  Usually used in video feeds.   Using the phone system as an example someone wishes to tell a group of people something so instead of calling each person up and telling them each person who wants the information joins a conference bridge.  Anyone is allowed to listen but only those that wish to get the information receive it.  Generally how multicast works.  Multicast traffic will be seen as IP address 224.x.x.x or something of the sorts where the address will be 2xx.x.x.x.  

I hope this makes sense.  Probably more information than you needed but at least it will help you understand what wireshark is telling you.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's why he would need to exclude any traffic designated for his IP address and then he would just see all the other traffic that's he worried about.  I'm sure it's all the stb stuff etc.

0 Likes
QuasiModem

ok, so i got wireshark, it was streaming data past me so fast i couldn't figure out what was going on. But it did show me the IP of my 2nd wireless access point. Which wasn't in use by any devices but was hammering the router at about 100MB constantly. I removed the AP from the network and the traffic overload went away.

No clue what was causing the dd-wrt configured linksys working as an access point only to hammer the actiontec but it's gone now, i just can't connect at full speed in the front part of the house.

oh well,

Thank you for your help.

QM

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If no computers where using the 2nd wireless access point, that does not make any sence to me.

#1 Please check to be sure that no computers where using it.

#2 What is the LAN IP of the 2nd wireless access point?

#3 What level of wireless security is present (none, WEP, WPA)?

0 Likes
rjw572002

Looks like you got your solution, but I think you should look up "MOCA", which is traffic between your cable set-top boxes.  This is the way they communicate.

0 Likes