user name and password for my router?
Gosllekrek

It was never changed to my recognition. I have tried "admin" as the username and "password" in the password field but it doesn't seem to work. I tried my Verizon account information as well. Is it normal that when I type a letter in the password field that three dots show up for each letter typed instead of a single dot that indicates the typed letter? Maybe that could be the problem as it's adding additional characters. I wish I knew what to do or someone that I called would help me but I had no luck. I have my account number, previous bills, router serial number, and everything needed to figure out what the username and password is if I was able to talk to a representative. The reasons I want to access my router is to forward some ports but I cannot do so without the username and password.

0 Likes
Re: user name and password for my router?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon no longer allows password, password1, verizon or verizon1 and quite a few other simple combos for passwords, they sent out an email half a year to a year ago about it.  there was a big hacker symposium where they were breaking into fios routers that used that as a password.  so to increase security they changed it to the serial number of your router. 

Yes it's normal for several characters to type out when you type a single character.

And in case you need any help with port forwarding you can use either of these two links.

1. Open a Web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.

1. Enter http://192.168.1.1 in the Address field of the browser.

Figure depicting Address Field

1. Enter your user name. If you didn't change the user name during installation, enter adminin the User Name field. [Show Me]

1. Enter the serial number found on the service tag of your actiontec router (under the UPC Bar code, and case sensitive) and click OK.
0 Likes
Gosllekrek

A90-9100 is the router that I have. I tried the serial number multiple times as the password making the zeros into Os and trying everything possible. I did "admin" as the admin once again and tried the serial number. I'm unsure of what else to do as I don't find it necessary to reset the router and try and get new everything. What should I do if:

Username: admin
Password: "my serial number"

this doesn't work. 😕

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I know mine is case sensitive,  did you do yours all caps?

0 Likes
Gosllekrek

Yes, I did my serial in all caps but are the "Os" zeros? Or are they just capital Os?

And should I do it in all caps or not? It is in all caps on my router.

Also, thank you so much for continuing to try and help with this!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they should be all 0's (number)  not o's   

And it should all be capital just like it shows on your router.   I hope that works for you.  If you can't get into the router after that, then I would try a few other common passwords that you may use or have used in the past, but ultimately you may have to factory reset it.   😞

The westells are a little different then the actiontec's, so maybe even try to do the MAC address instead of the serial number, but outside of that, I wouldn't know what else to do other than fact reset. 

0 Likes
ebanzuela
Enthusiast - Level 3

I actually ran into this problem today with a brand new router.  For some reason the password labeled on the router would not take and I even did the hard reset with a pin.  I eventually had to do online chat with Verizon and had a tech reset the password for me.

0 Likes