watching fios tv on my computer
blupanda1

just switched from comcast to fios. also upgraded computer from vista to W7. in my old computer i had a hauppauge tv tuner card and watched all 99 channels on comcast. since the tv tuner card does not work on the W7 (don't have the driver cd) i need to know the best way to watch fios on my new computer.

if i order a STD box do i still need a tuner card or is the box directly wired into the system?

0 Likes
Re: watching fios tv on my computer
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I have FiOS, Win 7, and a Hauappauge HVR-1600 TV tuner.  Using Hauppauge's WinTV 7 application I can watch the clear channel QAM stations on my PC.  I just run the coax to my Actiontec router through a splitter and feed one output of the splitter to the Happauge tuner.

To see more than the clear channel QAM stations you'd need a set top box.  The little 700 STB has audio and video outputs.  If your computer has an interface where you can plug in audio and video directly you shouldn't need a TV tuner card also.  My PC doesn't have any way I could plug a STB's audio/video in directly so  I'd need to have both.

edit:  I had the same Happauge tuner in my previous PC running Win XP Pro.  When I moved to the Win 7 box I downloaded the Win 7 drivers from the Happauge website.  You may be able to do the same thing.  If you don't already have it, upgrading to the WinTV 7 application would cost you $10.  I thought it worth the price.

prisaz
Legend

Some channels you can watch online, and the list is expanding.

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/unprotected/FTVOnline.aspx?PName=OnDemand

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FiOS TV Online products will provide exclusive content from these current providers:

EPIX

HBO GO

Turner (Adult Swim, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network)

CNN/HLN

Yankees on YES

MAX GO

TruTV

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

I have FiOS, Win 7, and a Hauappauge HVR-1600 TV tuner.  Using Hauppauge's WinTV 7 application I can watch the clear channel QAM stations on my PC.  I just run the coax to my Actiontec router through a splitter and feed one output of the splitter to the Happauge tuner.

To see more than the clear channel QAM stations you'd need a set top box.  The little 700 STB has audio and video outputs.  If your computer has an interface where you can plug in audio and video directly you shouldn't need a TV tuner card also.  My PC doesn't have any way I could plug a STB's audio/video in directly so  I'd need to have both.

edit:  I had the same Happauge tuner in my previous PC running Win XP Pro.  When I moved to the Win 7 box I downloaded the Win 7 drivers from the Happauge website.  You may be able to do the same thing.  If you don't already have it, upgrading to the WinTV 7 application would cost you $10.  I thought it worth the price.

I didn't know VZ fios was using QAM.  Which channels are typically carried as clear channel QAM??

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The ones I use are:

3024 PIX11

3025 WCBS-HD

3026 WNET-HD

3027 WNBC-HD

3028 WNYW-HD

3029 WABC-DT

3030 WWOR-HD

3032 WLIW-SD

3042 Weather-SD

There are others but  so far they don't interest me.  And, of course, the actual stations/channels available will vary by geographical area.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I find my clear qam using this site

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

goes by zip and cable provider.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

That's a good site, but with my Happauge tuner the channel numbers shown don't help much. 

One example...to tune to WNBCDT, QAM 72-1027, I have to tune to 3027.  Maybe it's different with other tuners but I've found that the only way to find what I want to do a scan with my tuner and then look through the QAM channels it's found.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

The ones I use are:

There are others but  so far they don't interest me.  And, of course, the actual stations/channels available will vary by geographical area.

Thanks.  Looks like it's the primary OTA signals for an area.  That's useful to know.

0 Likes