Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
blupanda
0 Kudos

watching fios tv on my computer

just switched from comcast to fios. also upgraded computer from vista to W7. in my old computer i had a hauppauge tv tuner card and watched all 99 channels on comcast. since the tv tuner card does not work on the W7 (don't have the driver cd) i need to know the best way to watch fios on my new computer.

if i order a STD box do i still need a tuner card or is the box directly wired into the system?

Silver Contributor III
eljefe

Re: watching fios tv on my computer

[ Edited ]

I have FiOS, Win 7, and a Hauappauge HVR-1600 TV tuner.  Using Hauppauge's WinTV 7 application I can watch the clear channel QAM stations on my PC.  I just run the coax to my Actiontec router through a splitter and feed one output of the splitter to the Happauge tuner.

To see more than the clear channel QAM stations you'd need a set top box.  The little 700 STB has audio and video outputs.  If your computer has an interface where you can plug in audio and video directly you shouldn't need a TV tuner card also.  My PC doesn't have any way I could plug a STB's audio/video in directly so  I'd need to have both.

edit:  I had the same Happauge tuner in my previous PC running Win XP Pro.  When I moved to the Win 7 box I downloaded the Win 7 drivers from the Happauge website.  You may be able to do the same thing.  If you don't already have it, upgrading to the WinTV 7 application would cost you $10.  I thought it worth the price.

Platinum Contributor I
prisaz
0 Kudos

Some channels you can watch online, and the list is expanding.

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/unprotected/FTVOnline.aspx?PName=OnDemand

Platinum Contributor I
Hubrisnxs

FiOS TV Online products will provide exclusive content from these current providers:

EPIX

HBO GO

Turner (Adult Swim, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network)

CNN/HLN

Yankees on YES

MAX GO

TruTV

All Star
viafax999
Device: Chromecast tv phone
Plan: Digital Voice, 75/35
0 Kudos

eljefe wrote:

I have FiOS, Win 7, and a Hauappauge HVR-1600 TV tuner.  Using Hauppauge's WinTV 7 application I can watch the clear channel QAM stations on my PC.  I just run the coax to my Actiontec router through a splitter and feed one output of the splitter to the Happauge tuner.

To see more than the clear channel QAM stations you'd need a set top box.  The little 700 STB has audio and video outputs.  If your computer has an interface where you can plug in audio and video directly you shouldn't need a TV tuner card also.  My PC doesn't have any way I could plug a STB's audio/video in directly so  I'd need to have both.

edit:  I had the same Happauge tuner in my previous PC running Win XP Pro.  When I moved to the Win 7 box I downloaded the Win 7 drivers from the Happauge website.  You may be able to do the same thing.  If you don't already have it, upgrading to the WinTV 7 application would cost you $10.  I thought it worth the price.

I didn't know VZ fios was using QAM.  Which channels are typically carried as clear channel QAM??

Silver Contributor III
eljefe
0 Kudos

The ones I use are:

3024 PIX11

3025 WCBS-HD

3026 WNET-HD

3027 WNBC-HD

3028 WNYW-HD

3029 WABC-DT

3030 WWOR-HD

3032 WLIW-SD

3042 Weather-SD

There are others but  so far they don't interest me.  And, of course, the actual stations/channels available will vary by geographical area.

Platinum Contributor I
Hubrisnxs
0 Kudos

I find my clear qam using this site

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

goes by zip and cable provider.

Silver Contributor III
eljefe
0 Kudos

That's a good site, but with my Happauge tuner the channel numbers shown don't help much. 

One example...to tune to WNBCDT, QAM 72-1027, I have to tune to 3027.  Maybe it's different with other tuners but I've found that the only way to find what I want to do a scan with my tuner and then look through the QAM channels it's found.

All Star
viafax999
Device: Chromecast tv phone
Plan: Digital Voice, 75/35
0 Kudos

eljefe wrote:

The ones I use are:

There are others but  so far they don't interest me.  And, of course, the actual stations/channels available will vary by geographical area.

Thanks.  Looks like it's the primary OTA signals for an area.  That's useful to know.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411