wrong mac address listed in verizon router for a device on my network
andrewjs18
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm having some routing issues and hope you can help.

I've got the standard  verizon actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I router for my standard LAN and then a 2nd router (linksys wrt54g) for a testing environment I set up, to help isolate the traffic.  I'm using the LAN to WAN strategy to set up the two networks.

everything seems to be working fine except for the fact that my devices behind the actiontec router cannot ping/access any devices behind the linksys router, but the devices behind the linksys router are able to ping and reach the devices behind the actiontec router.

my actiontec subnet is 192.168.1.X while my linksys subnet is 192.168.2.X.  I followed this tutorial on the verizon forum to hopefully get the two networks talking correctly: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Multiple-routers-and-subnets-can-t-access-across-subnets/...

an issue I see in my actiontec router is that it appears as though the mac address is not correct for what I'd imagine is the WAN port on the linksys router.  the actiontec is showing the MAC as 00:13:10:73:72:6a while the sticker on the router itself and through the ARP command in the command prompt shows the MAC for the linksys router as 00:13:10:73:72:69.  I've power cycled both routers 2x and nothing has changed.  I currently have the ethernet cable that goes from my actiontec to the linksys unplugged so hopefully it'll drop from network list eventually and reaquire an address when it's hooked back up, hopefully correcting the wrong MAC address issue.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why I can get out to the internet just fine on my 192.168.2.X network with a botched MAC address, but I can't ping the network that's just a hop away...even after following the guide mentioned above.

any ideas here? 

0 Likes
Re: wrong mac address listed in verizon router for a device on my network
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can release the address yourself.  It's a function under my network, network connections, broadband connection (whichever one is connected), configure connection

dhcp lease Release

Then recycle the router

After you set up the static route did the ping work? - ensure that you have icmp enabled on the linksys.  If you don't get a ping response it indicates an issue with the static route rule.

0 Likes