Customers With Disabilities
Copper Contributor
Mr_Detail
0 Kudos

Battery back-up usage during a power outage?

Hello all;

With a monster storm bearing down on us here in the East, I wondered about the functionality of the battery back-up with our FiOS service and landline phone.  They state that when the power goes out, the exisiting battery is good for 8 hours.

Does this mean if our power is out for longer than the 8 hours, then the existing original battery is useless?

Should I have a back-up battery right now before the storm hits?  Or can I just somehow disconnect the battery once the power goes out to save it for when the power comes back online?  We have one cell phone for emergencies.

Can see draining this $30+ battery for no reason.

Bronze Contributor II
JDoe
0 Kudos

Re: Battery back-up usage during a power outage?

Just in case of a prolonged power outage, I have a suggestion to augment the ONT Power Supply for Telephone Service.

That is to use a Power Inverter and a Marine Battery.  Many power inverters use an auto style 12vdc Cigarette Lighter Plug.  You can obtain a Cigarette Lighter Plug Recepticle with Battery Clamp ends at Radio Shack.

You can augment the ONT Power Supply in emergencies by plugging the ONT Power Supply into a Power Inverter connected to a Marine Battery.

The Lithium Software sux !!
Gold Contributor VII
Justin

The ONT/BBU only uses about as much power as a 40W bulb, so a few other thoughts that maybe will help:

1) If you have your PC and/or router connected to a UPS, when the power goes off, immediately turn off the UPS to prevent draining the battery in it (really no sense powering the PC and/or router if the internet isn't working). If later on you need to power the ONT/BBU, move the UPS to wherever the BBU is and connect it to the UPS. Depending on the size of the UPS it should provide significant additional phone time. JUst be sure to turn the UPS off after each use to keep the battery as charged as possible.

2) If the BBU is in or near the garage and you have an inverter as Dave described, just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket in a car, or, if your car doesn't have one, into the 12 V power outlet that most cars now have, and run an extension cord from the inverter to the BBU, should last as long as your car battery does, and you can of course start the car to charge the battery. Just be sure the inverter doesn't draw more power than the outlet in the car can provide.

3) If your vehicle has a 110 V output (my Honda Ridgeline truck does), just plug the extension cord into that, again should provide power as long as the car battery lasts. Just be sure to not run the car battery down so far it won't start the car. :smileyvery-happy:

Good luck to all of you in the storm' path.

Keller, TX 76248

Contributor
montanamommy
0 Kudos

According to FIOS, you have to disconnect the battery leads inside the backup battery unit.  Disconnecting the power supply just alerts the unit to a power failure and begins using back up power that drains the unit.  FIOS will replace the battery for free if it's under a one year warranty.  If you don't have insurance coverage on an older battery, then you have to pay for it.  FIOS will mail it to you but it takes 5 to 7 business days and they will not install it for you.  That's 5 to 7 business days in a normal weather condition - with the monster storm - i'm sure millions of batteries would be requested.  I'm trying to find a diagram of the unit in the In Home Agent as there are several other leads in the box.  I tried using their

Live Agent call service but, as usual, you just end up with someone typing back to you from India who keeps saying "not to worry".  After 8 minutes of texting and no answer, I gave up.  I must have upset someone because I got 2 repeated phone calls that I ignored.

Bronze Contributor II
JDoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

montanamommy:

You do realize that the battery in the FiOS ONT Power Supply is a recharchable battery don't you ?

Assuming that yours goes bad (and all rechargeable batteries eventually do like the battery in your automobile) you don't have to obtain them from Verizon.  They are available from many sources.  In some instances for less money than what Verizon sells them for.  Even Radio Shack has them (albeit not necessarily OTC).

Google Dork:  12v 7.2ah sealed lead-acid batteries

Gold Contributor VII
Justin
0 Kudos

montanamommy wrote:

According to FIOS, you have to disconnect the battery leads inside the backup battery unit.  Disconnecting the power supply just alerts the unit to a power failure and begins using back up power that drains the unit.  FIOS will replace the battery for free if it's under a one year warranty.  If you don't have insurance coverage on an older battery, then you have to pay for it.  FIOS will mail it to you but it takes 5 to 7 business days and they will not install it for you.  That's 5 to 7 business days in a normal weather condition - with the monster storm - i'm sure millions of batteries would be requested.  I'm trying to find a diagram of the unit in the In Home Agent as there are several other leads in the box.  I tried using their

Live Agent call service but, as usual, you just end up with someone typing back to you from India who keeps saying "not to worry".  After 8 minutes of texting and no answer, I gave up.  I must have upset someone because I got 2 repeated phone calls that I ignored.

I am totally confused by your post, why would millions of batteries be requested? Once power is restored they will automatically recharge.

But some points:

1) I guess you are saying that if you want to extent the 8 hours you need to disconnect the battery leads. Yes, that is true, just open the door on the BBU and remove either one of the battery leads, it is not necessary to remove both. That will preserve the battery, so if you need to make a call, just reconnect the lead, make the call, and disconnect it again. How long the battery lasts depends on how long you talk I guess.

2) Yes, Verizon warrants the battery for one year, and will replace it free in that period (but good luck getting that done just after this storm if it is bad as they are projecting, there will be far more important things for Verizon to get done). After that, replacing the battery is at your cost. Why in the world anybody would want to contact Verizon to get a replacement battery at their inflated price is beyond me. Many places carry batteries with the same rating, for far less $$$$. If your battery is over a year old and needs to be replaced, simply remove it from the BBU and take it with you, to Batteries Plus for example if you have one of those in your area. Or order one from Amazon. Or try Radio Shack or Home Depot or Fry's or ????? These batteries are very common.

3) If you are talking about getting one right now, before the storm, or just after it, good luck, I imagine they are mostly gone. But I guess it can't hurt to check locally. 

Don't you have a cell phone? If so, and you have a car charger for it, you should be good for as long as the gas in your car lasts, why worry about the FiOS battery? I just don't understand....

Keller, TX 76248

Bronze Contributor II
JDoe
0 Kudos

Justin:

Check this out.

Here you can get a Verizon source for a 12v 8ah battery for $28.75

At the Verizon TeleProducts site the 12v 8ah battery is $34.99

Contributor
montanamommy
0 Kudos

Justin,

Bear with me - I'm no techy.  Just got the BBU setup a few months ago so I'm going on the FIOS information that 

the battery drains in 8 hours and would have to be replaced.  They don't mention anything about the battery being

rechargeable.  The wires in the BBU are coupled with a cylindrical one inch rubber tube and connected to a plastic

snap in from what I can see.  There is a smaller box next to the BBU which I assume is the Optical Network Terminal

that is plugged into an electrical outlet with a OK green status light.  Not sure what's inside that.  A friend told me that he sat out a 2 day storm some months ago and the BBU sounded the alarm which he silenced.  Two days later the power was restored and the battery backup unit didn't drain.  

Bronze Contributor II
JDoe
0 Kudos

montanamommy:

It is a rechargeable battery so if it is drained, it will nolt need replacement.  Especially since you have had for a few months.  When AC power is back on and the battery is connected, it will recharge.

You stated... "There is a smaller box next to the BBU which I assume is the Optical Network Terminalthat is plugged into an electrical outlet with a OK green status light."

Look at my my picture earlier in this thread.  That smaller unit is a AC/DC converter power supply.  It turns your AC power into the DC that powers the ONT and charges the battery,  The ONT is actually is larger unit approximately 1 suare foot in size.  The below is my ONT on the exterior of my house...

Vz_ONT.jpg

And if you do lose power and you do disconnect one lead from the ONT power supply battery, you will save the battery's charge until you needed it.  If and when you need to use the phone, then you can reconnect the lead to the battery, wait ~ 3 minutes and your phone will be useable.  When you are done, you can disconnect the battery lead once again and save battery charge until you need it again.

Gold Contributor VII
Justin
0 Kudos

montanamommy wrote:

Justin,

Bear with me - I'm no techy.  Just got the BBU setup a few months ago so I'm going on the FIOS information that 

the battery drains in 8 hours and would have to be replaced.  They don't mention anything about the battery being

rechargeable.  The wires in the BBU are coupled with a cylindrical one inch rubber tube and connected to a plastic

snap in from what I can see.  There is a smaller box next to the BBU which I assume is the Optical Network Terminal

that is plugged into an electrical outlet with a OK green status light.  Not sure what's inside that.  A friend told me that he sat out a 2 day storm some months ago and the BBU sounded the alarm which he silenced.  Two days later the power was restored and the battery backup unit didn't drain.  

In your description I think you have the boxes backwards. The box with the electrical cord plugged into the wall is the BBU, which is where the battery is. The other box is the ONT, it is connected to the BBU. The ONT is where the fiber coming into the house is plugged into, and where the phone, coax, and possible ethernet connections from the house are made.

The battery in the BBU is rechargeable and should not need to be replaced after a power outage, even a long one, although of course if the battery is weak then it is possible that an outage could "kill" it. And of course it can simply die of old age. It may take a long time to recharge once the power comes back on, but once the ONT goes through its startup process the phone, internet, and TV services should all be available, even though the battery is not yet charged.

All I can tell you is that when I remove the battery cover from my BBU, all that is in that compartment of the BBU is the battery with a red wire and a black wire connected to it. All I would need to do to disconnect the battery would be to slide it part way out and remove one of the wires, or both wires if I am going to take the battery some place to get it replaced.

Keller, TX 76248

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools