East Coast Feeds
l1willia1
Enthusiast - Level 3

A couple days ago a few of my channels- Food Network, HGTV, SyFy and a couple others- switched from East Coast feeds to West Coast ones, so everything shifted back 3 hours and I had to adjust a couple DVR series recordings.  I'm on the West Coast so I can't be too uspet, but I'm curious why this happened and whether it happened to anyone else.  Unlike the shift with AMC last year, I can't find any info about it.  

Verizon reset my DVR for an unrelated problem and that's when it occurred, but that could just be coincidence.  

I miss those feeds- they make it much easier to avoid spoilers, plus I prefer to watch stuff earlier in the evening.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: East Coast Feeds
jasonacg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw this last year, with other cable providers. At that time, the issue was not with the providers, but with the networks themselves. They wanted west coast carriers to air west coast feeds, so that prime time programming aired in prime time. Probably a ratings/ad revenue thing.

I'm willing to bet Verizon was pressured to do the same.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Van221
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's happen to us too and I hate it! It's just the food network and also Syfy channel. Was so nice to be able to record shows at an earlier time. I WISH they'd change it back.

jasonacg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw this last year, with other cable providers. At that time, the issue was not with the providers, but with the networks themselves. They wanted west coast carriers to air west coast feeds, so that prime time programming aired in prime time. Probably a ratings/ad revenue thing.

I'm willing to bet Verizon was pressured to do the same.

0 Likes
semadsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can someone from Verizon address this question???  I've been watching Bravo TV shows at the same time for 5 years and now they're THREE hours later!  This is actually something I would dump my fios service over.  It's completely ridiculous that this big of a change would be made with absolutely no notice given to customers!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@semadsen wrote:

Can someone from Verizon address this question???  I've been watching Bravo TV shows at the same time for 5 years and now they're THREE hours later!  This is actually something I would dump my fios service over.  It's completely ridiculous that this big of a change would be made with absolutely no notice given to customers!

These are peer to peer forums.

Verizon will not address your question here.

And actually this was an announced change.  Lots of people on the West Coast complained they were not getting the West Coast feed.

0 Likes
l1willia1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Where was the announcement?  I saw announcements about other channels, not any that impact time slots (and DVR recordings- when the series moves, it's treated as a new entry).

Thanks for the information about other companies.  I thought it might be that but was hoping against it.  Lots of fun stupid shows that work well for me after I get off work, but not in real primetime when there are competing programs.  I'm curious to see how this actually impacts ratings, since they incorporate social media mentions and now they've forced us back into time zones- you can't chat about a show or follow it, really, if you get to see it later than others.

Hopefully they switch back one day...though I doubt it.

Again- thanks for the information!

celticpride1
Contributor - Level 2

This happened last year  with TNT,TBS,and FX,i noticed they just did it with BRAVO and USA!,I hate when they do this!  Thats why i use to love directv  ,I could watch shows like rizzoli and ilses ,or covert affairs at 6 .p.m. but now they come on at 9 p.m. and i have to chosse between TNT USA  or ABC,CBS,NBC,or FOX primetime programming. Verizon  probably thinks  most peope will want to get the new 6 tuner VMS dvr which means less problems recording shows that are on at the same time.