Re: FiOS 1 News
ToniM1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know this reply is late... very late... but I came here with the same question in mind.  I share your frustration.  Mind you, 3 years ago before I switched to Verizon I asked about that.  I was reassured that a Verizon version of TWC's NY1 was in the works.  Here we are and nothing yet.  It's so frustrating.  Between that and the fact that for some reason my bill keeps inching up, I'm thisclose to switching back to TWC.  I'm holding off because it's so much work to get it done in my apartment.  

0 Likes
ToniM1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No offense, but if you don't even live in the area, you just don't get it.

We are talking about local news channels, not entertainment channels like YES.  Do you want to turn on your TV for news about what's happening in the greater Boston area only to get a channel that is from an area you don't care about? How would that be helpful?

0 Likes
ToniM1
Enthusiast - Level 3

NY1 is a proprietary channel owned by Time Warner Cable.  As I mentioned in a post downthread, they have been promising that they are creation their own version ... which I think should be called CITY 1, for years.  

0 Likes
ToniM1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I disagree and believe me I would know.  There are local News Channels (CBS/ABC/NBC) that have newscasts throughout the day.  None of the 24 hr cable channels are New York Centric, as you say.  Only NY1 focuses on New York City and only New York City.   In fact that is my frustration.  I like to turn the TV on first thing.  I used to be able to put NY1 up and just have it on while I have my coffee.  Now my only choice are the cable news channels which focus primarily on the politics of the day.  

0 Likes
ToniM1
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK... Nearly four years later, I'm still waiting for a Verizon version of NY1, which I was actually promised when I made the switch.  And every time call they tell me it's in the works.  I work for a major news division.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  This along has me wondering if I should switch back to TWC, not to mention it turned out to be much more expensive.

BTW, you can't watch NY! on the internet unless you are a TWC subscriber.  I tried.  

To whoever is listening...

IT'S INFURIATING!!!

0 Likes
ToniM1
Enthusiast - Level 3

i strongly disagree.  As I'm sure you know, local news stations cover that they call "the tri-state area".  New York 1 is different in that it covers only the five burroughs.  It also differs in that it's local news 24/7, and not just for a half hour or an hour a few times a day.  The other cable news channels are all politics or national news.  When nothing else is on, I like to keep my TV tuned to news but I want local news.  It's particularly important if there's an ongoing major local story.  Anyway that's my two cents worth.  

0 Likes
MarkandKathy

Why do your newcasters call the new Tappan Zee Bridge the Mario Cuomo?  Only the state government calls it that.  To everybody else, it's the Tappan Zee Bridge ( not the Malcolm Wilson Bridge either).  You don't call the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge the "Hamilton Fish Bridge" - you don't call the Poughkeepsie Bridge the  "Franklin D. Roosevelt" bridge.  Everybody calls the Triboro bridge the Triboro, not the "RFK" bridge.  Try using the names everybody actually knows

0 Likes