Odd Question - Local Advertising
kc2kth
Enthusiast - Level 1
This will seem odd to many but hopefully there is a good answer. I'm located in Toms River NJ, the "shore area" for those unfamiliar. Since switching to fios I have noticed that local ad spots, typically car dealer commercials are most noticeable, are not from anywhere near my local area. When with Comcast I typically saw commercials from the 10-15 closest dealers, all within 10 miles or so of me. Instead of these I now see commercials for dealerships in northern NJ or even Long Island or the burroughs in NY, areas between one and two hours drive from me. The same is true of local restaurant ads and other local services. I see none of these on fios that are within an hour of me..

So my question is am I somehow associated to a different geographic location within Verizon's system that can be changed, or is this simply how Verizon has NJ setup? Note I've also noticed any website that detects my location based on IP address is placing me way up in northern NJ, a location roughly 90 minutes from me.
0 Likes