On Demand TV shows
rickj1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am reading the comments from customers about "on demand" tv shows and how long it takes to be added to Verizon.T he comments box says it is solved. It is not solved. 

Someone keeps answering saying that it is up to the broadcasters to supply the tv show for "on demand" access. Well, when I had Comcast, the tv shows that i missedthe night before was on demand the next day, so it's not the "broadcasters" as has been stated. Unless you are saying that the broadcasters allow Comcast to have immediate access and they make Verizon wait a month? 

It's ridicuous.. on demand should mena just that "on demand" not, "on a month later, maybe"

...and don't tell me to order DVR service to resolve the issue.

Re: On Demand TV shows
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

The thread is marked "solved" whenever the person who opens it marks a post as the solution.  So the person who originally asked that question picked something as the solution.  Verizon has nothing to do with it - it's solely within the purview of the person who opens the thread.

Different people have a different definition of what "solved" means.  This poster felt that the problem was "solved" in that his question was answered, regardless of whether the problem was actually resolved the way he would like it to be in an ideal world.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OP may mark a solution but others can mark it as solution as well.  Verzon admins and CL's can. 

Comcast has a well advertised advanced scheme to try and keep the programs available up to date.  Verizon also does try to do so but is sometimes a bit slow.  One of the providers (is it Comcast?) also records OTA shows themselves and offers them as Virtual DVR. 

It is definitely the channel providers and content owners that control what is available.  Unfortunately each of them uses a different scheme that keeps the various cable/satelllite busy to keep their VOD up to date.

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

How could that possibly be legal?  Especially in light of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Companies_v._Aereo I don't see how they could do that without permission.

@tns_2 wrote:
One of the providers (is it Comcast?) also records OTA shows themselves and offers them as Virtual DVR. 
0 Likes
rickj1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So TNS_2....

Pardon me for not being knowledgable with some of the abbreviations used in the responses. But Im even more confused when the response states that the broadcasters have the right to distribute when shows are released for on- demand programs.

Are you saying that the broadcasters negotiate with the cable companies , i.e. Comcast, Verizon, for when they will be allowed to reshow the program?

To keep saying that it is the broadcasters who control what is released and what isnt, still doesnt make sense. From what I have experienced the shows that were aired last night are on-demand the next night.

For example.. If I missed Falling Skies"  aired on TNT on Sunday night, I knew with confidence that it was on-demand with Comcast come Monday night. So is Comcast paying TNT to be able to have the episode aired the next day and Verizon is not paying, so it doesnt show up for a month??

Im glad I have a 30 day guarantee with Verizon.. I'm 4 days in and not impressed so far.

0 Likes
baglady49

I am very disappointed in Verizon when it comes to On Demand TV shows.  2 years ago, Verizon had no problems airing TV shows within 24-48 hours of the original broadcast.  Now I am waiting almost a week for Covert Affairs and Royal Pains. What has changed?  Comcast seems to be able to air within 24-48 hours.   I used to brag about Verizon and its service.  Not anymore.

0 Likes