A bunch of little squares dancing on ch 217 & 218
laurydotcalm

I'm just gonna blow off a little steam right now...It seems that during the day, I have no problems with channels 217 & 218, but come the evening, when I want to watch it, I get all these little boxes of color dancing all over the place, and the audio cuts in & out! I have called on this problem before, and it has been fixed, usually by the next day. BUT, today, (after I had to get my stb refreshed AND rebooted by the recording lady), I was transfered to.....I really don't know WHAT I was transfered to!! He tells me to unhook my cable from the stb, wait @2 min, and screw it back in. Then he tells me to unplug the stb, wait 3 sec, & plug it back in. Neither of these worked, so then he tells me the problem is in the stb, or my coaxial cable!! I asked him why do I get all the other channels perfectly, but not 217 or 218, and its a cable problem? He told me my signal in the cable is weak so I need another cable. And if a new cable doesn't work, its probably a faulty stb. I told him I would try changing the cable, & if that doesn't work, should I call back? He told me "NO", if its the box I need to bring it in. Well, I did change out the coaxial & I still had the problem! But when my roommate got home, he had the same problem on his tv, so I checked the one in the living room...same problem!! Only channels 217 & 218!! So I'm thinking that the problem HAS to be on your end...not mine!! I would like any feedback or help, because this has happened before & it is very frustrating!! Oh, my stb is a dvr, & the other 3 boxes are standards!! Help!! & THANX

0 Likes
Re: A bunch of little squares dancing on ch 217 & 218
psumatt1
Contributor - Level 2

If it's only these two channels, and its on all of your STB's, then it most likely is a signal issue either at your home, or nearby.

You need to have a tech out.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@laurydotcalm wrote:

Well, I did change out the coaxial & I still had the problem! But when my roommate got home, he had the same problem on his tv, so I checked the one in the living room...same problem!! Only channels 217 & 218!! So I'm thinking that the problem HAS to be on your end...not mine!! I would like any feedback or help, because this has happened before & it is very frustrating!! Oh, my stb is a dvr, & the other 3 boxes are standards!! Help!! & THANX

Sounds like it's a problem at either the main coaxial cable that is inside your house, or the first splitter.   If you can't find the Splitter or that main Coax (usually in the basement or garage or attic even) then you will probably have to have a tech in some fashion go out.  Whether that is Verizon who can be pretty expensive or a local TV guy who are normally cheaper.   But my best guess is that the problem is at the Splitter or that main TV feed inside your house.  If it were outside your house VZ should be able to tell and have someone come out and correct that.  If it's outside your house they don't charge, if it's inside your house, I have been told that they charge.     

I'd hunt around and see if you can find that splitter, I bet you anything that it's your golden goose.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its more than likely a cabling issue to the box.  To check whats called
your, SNR number, you'll need to do a little troubleshooting.  The SNR
number, is the signal strength to the box. 
First turn the STB (set top box) on.
Second, on the front of the box, there are a bunch of buttons, you'll
need to push the Power button once, and the select button twice.  Not
holding any of the buttons, but kind of fast when you push them.
This will get the box into the diagnostics mode.  If it says general
status, you went to far, just push the left arrow to get you to the
selection screen.
Now that you are into Diagnostics, just use the arrows on the front of
the box, or the remote, and cruise on down to D04 if you are on an HD
box, or 03 if you are on a Standard Def box.  Now push Select.
On this screen, near the bottom, you'll see your SNR Number, it should
be somewhere above 35, for all channels to work.  If it is below 35,
try reseating the coax cable on the back of the box, and if that
doesn't get it up, try reseating the coax cable on the wall.  If it
still doesn't improve, try the box in another room, if its still below
35, its the box.
If its above 35 in the other room, its the cabling in the first room. 
Try replacing the coax in that case, if still not above 35, call
verizon tech support, they will need to send out a tech to check the
inside wiring and the splitter at the ONT

0 Likes