Adding another set top box
joedirt1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have Fios coming into the house in two places, one at the living room for the tv and the second in the basement for the computer. I am adding a tv in the bedroom, which currently does not have service(no coax cable). My questions are:

When I install the tv and new coax cable in the bedroom, where do I run the coax cable to: The Fios box on the outside of the house or to the living room tv, where Fios service is currently at?

Can I split the Fios coming into the living room and jump it to the bedroom or do they all need to be home runs back to the Fios box outside?

I've tried to get this question answered thru livechat four times and no one has a clue what I am talking about. I'm hoping I have better luck here.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding another set top box
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The best method is a home run to the splitter off the ONT (incoming FiOS box).  If that is not convenient then yes you can add another split at the existing TV.

Make sure your splitter is rated for at least 1 GHz (1000 MHz).  You should also use RG-6 coax (preferrably quad shield) and the F connector terminations should be compression type not the old hex crimp.

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The best method is a home run to the splitter off the ONT (incoming FiOS box).  If that is not convenient then yes you can add another split at the existing TV.

Make sure your splitter is rated for at least 1 GHz (1000 MHz).  You should also use RG-6 coax (preferrably quad shield) and the F connector terminations should be compression type not the old hex crimp.

joedirt1
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Keyboards wrote:

Thanks Keyboards, you answered more than one question I had following my first.

I am going to do a home run back to the Fios box outside, it's easier then trying to fish a cable down to the existing tv and the attic is wide open. I plan on letting Verizon set up the set top box and make the final connection at the Fios box; it has a weird hex head screw on it that requires a special tool I'm guessing. I'm hiding the set top box in the closet and using an IR repeater so the only thing showing on the wall is the new tv.

Didn't think about the coax crimps, guess I need to relegate my old crimpers to the mueseum box, lol.

Thanks again.

0 Likes