All channels say "This channel is currently unavailable"
carriecarrot

Every single channel say "This channel is currently unavailable", but dvr play and on demand work.  I have tried unplugging power and the hdmi.  It makes no sense.  When this has happened in the past, I could unplug then change channel and all would be good.  Not this time.  I think I read somewhere to switch to composite.  True?

0 Likes
Re: All channels say "This channel is currently unavailable"
carriecarrot

Well, I hooked up the component cables, changed the input, nothing, changed channels, nothing.  

Switched back to the hdmi input, changed channels, nothing.

Switched again to the component cables input, changed channels, nothing, removed the hdmi, changed channels, and all channels back.  

Plugged hdmi back in, changed to hdmi input, and channels are still available.  

Removed the component cables, channels still available.

Geez.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Channel Currently unavailable is the cable that gives the set top box a signal from Verizon. That is the Coax Cable

You want to find it in the back of your set top box,  it should be plugged where it is labeled FIOS TV IN or RF IN.  If it's in any other plug, then that is bad and move it to the ones I mentioned.

When you find it, if it's plugged into the right spot, then unhook it from there, clean it out (sometimes blowing into it is good enough, you might need cotton swab and light rubbing alcohol.   And then rehook it back in.  Visually inspect the cable for any damage, sharp bends, or dents, and then go to the other end of the cable. that cable may be plugged directly in a wall outlet, it might be in a splitter in that room, or it might go through a hole to another room, where it connects to a splitter.   Find the other end and do the same thing.   Unhook it, clean it out and rehook it back in.   EVEN IF IT SEEMS TIGHT. 

And then after you're done come back to your tv and check that again. 

The component and hdmi cable only give your tv a signal from the box to the tv, which you have, because you see the fios messages, but there is no signal from the box to the wall or rest of the fios network.  That is where you need to focus.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Channel Currently unavailable is the cable that gives the set top box a signal from Verizon. That is the Coax Cable

You want to find it in the back of your set top box,  it should be plugged where it is labeled FIOS TV IN or RF IN.  If it's in any other plug, then that is bad and move it to the ones I mentioned.

When you find it, if it's plugged into the right spot, then unhook it from there, clean it out (sometimes blowing into it is good enough, you might need cotton swab and light rubbing alcohol.   And then rehook it back in.  Visually inspect the cable for any damage, sharp bends, or dents, and then go to the other end of the cable. that cable may be plugged directly in a wall outlet, it might be in a splitter in that room, or it might go through a hole to another room, where it connects to a splitter.   Find the other end and do the same thing.   Unhook it, clean it out and rehook it back in.   EVEN IF IT SEEMS TIGHT. 

And then after you're done come back to your tv and check that again. 

The component and hdmi cable only give your tv a signal from the box to the tv, which you have, because you see the fios messages, but there is no signal from the box to the wall or rest of the fios network.  That is where you need to focus.

Hubrisnxs, it looks like you must have missed the OP's statement that On Demand works, indicating the coax cable is connected corrently since they are getting an IP signal (which is how On Demand is sent) via that coax.

To the OP, suggest you perform an STB Autocorrection from the STB main menu, customer support, in-home agent.

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its NOT your hdmi or components. Either the dvr is going bad or more likely the rf signal to the unit is bad. Even if it worked properly for years splitters, connectors and even coax can fail causing the signal to drop. You need a Tech with a sunrise meter, should be an easy fix.  Without a meter reading for signals, errors tec we are just guessing.

0 Likes
carriecarrot

It has been 4 days and everything is still working...

Just to make sure everyone understands what the issue was.

1.  All channels say unavailable at this time.  ie LIVE TV didn't work.

Working

1.  Guide

2..  DVR (This isn't the recording device that is in the living room.  This is playback in the office.)

3.  OnDemand.

Oh and I called tech support.  They did all their magic and could get to the box and still no hope.  I told them I was going to the Verizon store and swap out the box...  Just thought I would try the forum first.

0 Likes
DaveD2

I wonder if a new  DVR STB recorder will work for me since I have the same problem

0 Likes
Caneu

I was wondering if a new STB fixed the problem? I am having the same issue and tech support doesn't know how to fix it. Thanks!

0 Likes
smo0f

Sounds like the signal via coax cable going to the box is really weak.  A tech might have to come out to your house to boost the signal.  If you are using a splitter for coax, the splitter might have gone bad, which happens all the time - try bypassing the splitter or using a different splitter to see if this is the issue.  

0 Likes