Am I allowed to MOD the DVR?
inachu
Enthusiast - Level 3

In modding I do not mean hacking but this is what I would like to do if it is allowed.

Take my DVR hard drive out and copy it to a solid state drive in its place.

Possible?

I have never done this but thought about it since I am about to do it to my xbox360 for better performance.

0 Likes
Re: Am I allowed to MOD the DVR?
prisaz
Legend

No you are not allowed to open the box. If you break it you must pay. I don't think I would like to pay their price. You may add an external drive expansion providing you use the supported drives. To use the expansion with the eSATA port, you must have img 1.9 installed in the DVR. I have heard of success with using unsupported drives, but at that point you can not complain to Verizon. When using the eSATA port, the recordings are put on that drive first.

Term and conditions can be found at the bottom of each page of the web sites.

http://www22.verizon.com/terms/files/FiOS_TV_TOS.pdf

"

9. EQUIPMENT; MAINTENANCE AND OWNERSHIP OF EQUIPMENT.

(a)

We do not guarantee that the Service will work correctly if you use equipment to access the Service other than the Equipment provided by Verizon. We have no responsibility for the operation or support, maintenance or repair of any equipment, software or services that you choose to use in connection with the Service or with the Equipment provided by us. We assume no responsibility for the operation of the Service if equipment other than the Equipment we provide to you is used to access the Service.

(b)

You acknowledge and agree that at all times ownership of the Equipment shall remain with us and that this Agreement allows you to use Equipment only in connection with your receipt and use of the Service. We may, at our option, supply new or reconditioned Equipment to you. We will repair and maintain the Equipment owned by us at our expense, unless such repair or maintenance is made necessary due to misuse, abuse or intentional damage to the Equipment, in which case you will be financially responsible for the repair or replacement of the damaged Equipment. You also agree that the Equipment will not be serviced by anyone other than our employees or our designated agents or representatives. You further agree not to tamper with or otherwise harm the Equipment, and that you will not copy, modify, reverse compile or reverse engineer any Equipment, software or firmware provided by Verizon in connection with the Service. Upon termination of the Service, or if the occupancy or ownership of your Premises changes, you are responsible for returning the Equipment to us in an undamaged condition, subject only to reasonable wear and tear. Failure to return any Equipment owned by us within 30 days as instructed by Verizon, or returning Equipment in a damaged condition (subject only to reasonable wear and tear), will result in the imposition of an Equipment fee that may be substantial.

(c)

In the event that the Equipment owned by Verizon is stolen, you are required to provide us with a copy of the police report to verify that the Equipment was reported stolen. If no report is produced, then you will be held financially responsible for the stolen Equipment.

"

0 Likes
Re: Am I allowed to MOD the DVR?
prisaz
Legend

Now if you have a TiVO with a cable card, you can pretty much do what ever you wish with the hardware you own. I used a $20 program called instant cake to replace the crashed drive on my TiVO HD and install a 1TB. TiVO wanted an outragous price to install the same size tiny drive at their repair center. I did it myself and it is still running. Now I am not sure if there are programs for the new TiVO Premier, but when I looked last year there were not. But if you are good with Linux, you could probably copy the image. I would not mess with the Verizon hardware.

0 Likes