Best Way to switch to RF Remote
TechieWannaBe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Newbie here so patience is appreciated... Smiley Happy

We mounted our LED TV over our fireplace and now want to get the Verizon HD DVR, DVD Player and (soon to be purchased) Home Theater Receiver out of sight and into the basement.

I ordered an HDMI cable that will be long enough to move the box.  However, I learned yesterday that the typical Verizon remote and the DVD remote etc. won't work once I move the boxes downstairs because they are IR.

So.....I know that this is a common setup and want to see what the most accepted solution is.  Do I spend the $300 and get a Universal Remote with RF?  If so, don't I still need some kind of IR to RF converter on the boxes?

I saw on Amazon the Next Generation Remote Control Extender.  Does anyone have experience using that product?

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated as I am very very eager to finally get these devices out of the living room so we can finally start decorating...

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to reading your recommendations.

0 Likes
Re: Best Way to switch to RF Remote
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use that NextGen Remote Extender of which you speak ... it's a little transmitter that goes into the battery compartment of the remote which senses the IR signals being generated (yeah, sounds weird but it actually works!) and a little "saucer" unit that goes in the basement with your STB, etc.  Works like a champ and I would highly recommend it.   There are other solutions as well, but this one which doesn't require a repeater unit mounted in the living room somewhere as well was among the best I found.

The problem with an RF setup will be exactly as you mention -- either you will need to change to an RF universal remote (Logitech has several) which will then interface with a unit in the basement to generate the IR output or you'll need something again mounted in the living room to sense the IR signals and convert them to RF and back again in the basement.

I like the NextGen solution because it still results in the IR being generated by the remote being seen by the devices in the room (like the TV) and also broadcasts it to the repeater in the basement where those devices can see it as well.   Only downside is not all remotes will work -- the Verizon ones and Logiftech Harmony, I know from experience, both work with issue as do most single device remotes.

0 Likes