Blu-Ray player connected thru my Motorola 7219 HD DVR- can't find IP address
rlmadia

I do not have an HDMI port on my TV (I understand why would I want a blu-ray player without an HD TV)  Getting one, but right now my Blu-ray player gets Netflix, so in the short term I'll use it for that.

My question is since I don't have an HDMI on my TV, why can't I make it work using the HDMI port on the FIOS DVR?  Currently, I have my Blu-ray hard wired to the ethernet port on the FIOS DVR and I am using standard Red/White Yellow for connections.  The player works cause I can see a picture, but it can't find my IP address when it starts the loading process. 

Is my only option to hard wire directly to the FIOS Router?  If so then why the heck are all these port on the back of the FIOS DVR and you can't even use any of them?

I'm a quick learner if someone can help me...

0 Likes
Re: Blu-Ray player connected thru my Motorola 7219 HD DVR- can't find IP address
prisaz
Legend

Well it is like this. They are for an incomming connection that Verizon does not use. Verizon does their IP over MoCA on the coax from the router. The hardware is not made to provide a useable port like a router. It would just cause to many issue with the processing power of the STB, if it were used as a router or bridge.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=STB+Ethernet+port

Did a search on STB Ethernet Port and there are many postings and many answers that say it is not and will not be used for that. Also other options like the ECB2200 that can give you an ethernet port off of your coax. Bi directional coax splitter before the STB or DVR and then one of these. http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192

Your FiOS router can be placed pretty much anywhere on the COAX if that is an option for you.

0 Likes
Re: Blu-Ray player connected thru my Motorola 7219 HD DVR- can't find IP address
rlmadia

Thanks for the response.  Things will be much easier once we get a new TV.

As for your response about the FIOS Router, it's hard wired to my Desktop PC, so I can't move it at this point...  It's not that far from my TV, so I'll just get a longer cat 5 cable.

thanks

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Simply put, the ports on the DVR are "outputs" not "inputs" with the exception of the coax connection.  There are so many, because there are many different ways to connect video and audio (composite, component, hdmi, digitial audio over coax, digital audio over optical, etc.)

You connect your BluRay to your TV, not to the DVR box.

The HDMI port on the DVR is to output signal to a TV

The ethernet on the DVR box would be to allow it to be connected to an ethernet network to get it's guide data, etc.  (Verizon doesn't need this because they use a special router which allows the box to do this over the Coax instead)

Your easiest and cheapest option if the router is near the TV is to simply get a cat5 ethernet cable and connect the BluRay player directly to one of the router's LAN ports.   There are other options, but there will be expense involved.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@lasagna wrote:

Simply put, the ports on the DVR are "outputs" not "inputs" with the exception of the coax connection.  There are so many, because there are many different ways to connect video and audio (composite, component, hdmi, digitial audio over coax, digital audio over optical, etc.)

You connect your BluRay to your TV, not to the DVR box.

The HDMI port on the DVR is to output signal to a TV

The ethernet on the DVR box would be to allow it to be connected to an ethernet network to get it's guide data, etc.  (Verizon doesn't need this because they use a special router which allows the box to do this over the Coax instead)

Your easiest and cheapest option if the router is near the TV is to simply get a cat5 ethernet cable and connect the BluRay player directly to one of the router's LAN ports.   There are other options, but there will be expense involved.

If the Ethernet was enabled would this statement not make it an input. Yes with the existing configuration all ports are outputs. HDMI being what it is, acts as I/O when it does its handshake. Coax also being on MoCA acts as I/O. But with Ethernet port not being used by Verizon, it is as we both agree disabled.Smiley Wink

"The Ethernet on the DVR box would be to allow it to be connected to an Ethernet network to get it's guide data, etc.  (Verizon doesn't need this because they use a special router which allows the box to do this over the Coax instead)"

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bi-directional interfaces are a tricky thing to characterize ... in this case, it allows the STB to be a "client" on the local network so I classified it as an output in that sense.   You can use it as the access point for another device to get into the local network.

0 Likes