CableCard option no longer offered on verizon.com
linda732

Just last month, I considered adding FiOS TV to my voice & internet 'Double Play', to make it a 'Triple Play'.  At that time, the site allowed my to select CableCard in lieu of renting a box.  

Back in March, I chose not to go with the Triple Play, but now I want to do so.  Unfortunately, the functionality to select CableCard has now been removed!  

I chatted with Support and, well, if you've ever had a tough go at it with Verizon's (or any company's) chat support folks, you can imagine.  The solution that was provided to me was, "just subscribe with a box".  Then, after I politely repeated that I want to do CableCard, and the reason for my preference, the solution was, "just subscribe with a box, and then call Customer Service and tell them you don't want the box and you want a CableCard and you can ship it back".  

What?  That's the professional advice/solution I receive?

Could I probably hike to a Verizon store and get a CableCard (though that was not a solution the chat assistant proposed)?  Maybe?.  But what is going on?  Why omit this functionality from the ordering process?  Making CableCard readily available to customers is an FCC requirement, and a longstanding one.  Sure, CableCard generates a bit less revenue compared to set-top box rental, but providers have a legal obligation -- and a moral obligation to not make this such a poor experience.  Long-time customer, deeply disappointed.

0 Likes
Re: CableCard option no longer offered on verizon.com
istra1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree this is ridiculous. There is no need for a forced STB for people who want a cablecard. PLEASE, VERIZON, allow the order of a cablecard without STB!!!

sbhnet1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's there, it's just hidden.  I'd give you the exact path but I can't because I have an order pending.  It's under "add a set top box" or something similar.  It is NOT intuitive, but it's there.  I had to have the rep walk me to it via chat.  Of course I ordered mine on the 15th and it still hasn't shipped...

0 Likes
MarkcusD2

I think they have to provide cable card by law. I use it with windows media center which is great.

0 Likes
SG231
Enthusiast - Level 1
You have to select the "add/return a box" button on the tv equipment and outlets page.
Then an overlay will appear with 3 choices, the last one in the list is cable card.
0 Likes
pulseae1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I ran into the same problem two days ago. Verizon is slowly becoming Comcast. Here is the dilemma,

- You can't select CableCard. They force you to select at least one STB one. There is no hidden user interface to add one.

- Even if you select the STB first, thinking that you can return it and add CableCard later, it's not possible.

- You will be paying 19.99 shipping charges to get any additional equipment.

I even chatted one of the Verizon representative and was really shocked to hear the suggestion he made. He was like, just go ahead and order with STB and then return it after adding the CableCard. Why make customer to through all this trouble??????????

I guess I will switch to evil Comcast and see if they changed their act 🙂

0 Likes
Erasmus354
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea I think Verizon's policy on CableCARDs is about to push me over the edge and cancel my service.

All I want is to get a CableCARD for a reasonable price. $4.99 a month is already a bit steep. However on top of that there is an unavoidable $19.99 shipping and handling charge. That is more than "As Seen on TV" processing and handling, that is more than same day delivery from Amazon. You *CANNOT* pick up a cable card in a store location because they are not carried there (probably deliberately). So what does this outrageous shipping charge get you? "your order will ship within 30 days".

There is no way in hell Verizon is going to charge me $19.99 to ship a 4 oz. CableCARD that can fit in a $1.99 USPS First Class envelope and then have the gall to say it might ship anytime in the next month.

0 Likes
Erasmus354
Enthusiast - Level 2

So an update:

Verizon is willfully violation FCC Rule 76.640(b)(3) which states that all cable operators must provide "convenient access" to CableCARDs by deliberately hiding the CableCARDs behind a $19.99 paywall that isn't there for normal set top boxes.

In their system you are presented the option of picking up a set top box at a local store if it is in stock. This option is not there for CableCARDs, EVEN IF THE CABLE CARD IS IN STOCK LOCALLY. The only way to pick up a CableCARD is to assert yourself to a Verizon Supervisor who can verify that the local store does in fact have stock and put in an order for you to pick it up.

Verizon has a CableCARD in stock at a store less than a mile from my house, yet their online system did not present me the option to pick up the card locally. I had to jump through hoops to get it.

Verizon you need to fix this, I have filed a complaint with the FCC notifying them that you are in violation.

0 Likes